Hi to ALL,
I want to give everyone a timely warning about bee stings as it is something that should never be taken lightly or even worse, ignored.
I had been stung by bees in the past a few times and always recovered fairly quickly after the initial sting and the following couple of days of mild pain and swelling of the area.
Having decided on beekeeping as a hobby and recently my son caught a swarm for me and I was stung by a bee on my hand 6 days ago - same symptoms as my early experiences. Two days later I was stung again on my foot - same experiences again. Two days later, stung for the third time on the back of my neck but this time it was initially a little different. Half an hour later I felt extremely itchy all over so I decided to have a hot bath to try and relieve the itchiness. When I got out of the bath I noticed an angry looking rash all over my upper body. I showed it to my wife who said you better go to the doctor and let him have a look at it - reluctantly I agreed as it’s only a few minutes to the doctors. This was around 4 pm.
After seeing the doctor he asked how I was feeling and I told him I wasn’t 100% so he said you’d better sit here for a bit and then see how things are. He was monitoring my blood pressure which was beginning to get a bit low. Half an hour later I began to feel quite faint and nauseous and dizzy and my tongue was beginning to swell with a little difficulty breathing - the doctor came back to me and could see I was in difficulty so they gave me an injection of adrenalin, anti histamine and cortisone and put me on a saline drip. The rash disappeared within a minute of the adrenalin injection! My blood pressure had fallen to 80 over 40, which isn’t good for sustaining life and was the reason for the adrenalin injection. An ambulance was called to take me to the hospital. I can tell you I wasn’t in a very good state in the hospital, adrenalin was causing my whole body to convulse to the point where I simply couldn’t control it. To give you an idea - if you’ve ever had restless leg syndrome, which causes your leg to twitch when you lie down in bed - well magnify that about 15 or 20 times and I wasn’t going to get any relief from that until the adrenalin wears off.
At about 9.30pm my blood pressure and heart beats had returned to normal and they let me go home.
I was so lucky, if my wife wasn’t home I wouldn’t have gone to the doctor and with falling blood pressure I wouldn’t have even been able to crawl to the phone for an ambulance - I would have died.
I have since found out that those 3 stings, the venom is exponential, that is it continues to increase one on top of the other and if I get stung again it could very well be fatal.
So lessons learnt - even if you don’t want to it’s best to suit up, you never know and you could be a person disposed to this kind of anaphylactic shock and believe me it’s not something you want to experience. Get some anti histamine tablets and take one immediately you get stung, it slows the onset of anaphylaxis. If you feel faint and dizzy accompanied by nausea, get immediate help - it could save your life. Maybe get yourself an epi pen.
Best regards to all,