Any Northern Virginia folks out there?

You lost them over this winter? And this is as mild as our winters go!

Yup… Really mild winter (crazy, actually… lots of trees in full bloom and its still February). This is my first year beekeeping and I had been paying a local supplier to provide service on the hive (inspections, treat for pests, etc).

1 Like

Hi my name is Laura, i live in Annandale. My class got a flow hive for this year. We were wondering when does beekeeping season start? it is amazing to know that there are other North Virginia beekeepers out there. Thank you

Hi @Laura, nice to see young people getting into beekeeping. If you already had a hive with bees in it, the season may have started already. As you probably just have the empty boxes, you need to get some bees. The best place is from a local bee club, although you can buy packages (loose bees in a cage with a queen) or nuclei (about 5 frames of bees and a queen) from commercial suppliers for $200 - $300. You need to get your order in ASAP, as they start shipping in early April in most parts of the US, and supplies are often quite limited.

Please ask as many questions as you would like, and we will all try to help you. There are not many of us in your region, but the principles are mostly the same wherever you are in the world, just the timing and some subtle things differ a little. Good luck! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you @Dawn_SD, this is SO informational. Where would you recommend getting the bees specifically. (My local bee Club is rundown sadly)

1 Like

I have bought package bees from Mann Lake in the past, and found them to be mostly excellent. The only problem is that packages are not the best choice for beginners. It is certainly likely that you would be successful in installing a package, but there are more risks for the bees absconding.

Mann Lake also has nuclei, which are far preferable for new beekeepers, but that would be a drive of over 200 miles each way for you to pick them up, as they do not ship nuclei.

Here is the link to their options. You will need to get on the list very soon, as they often sell out quite fast (no, I don’t work for them, and I am not on commission for them either! :blush: )

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/honey-bees/live-nucs/

1 Like

@Dawn_SD , I have more questions for you.
What do you think are the most important fact to know when you get bees?
What are 10 top tools for beekeeping?
How many hours a week does it take to take care of them?
I will definitely have more coming at you. Thank you so so much. You are such a help to my class and me.

OK, you used a plural verb (are) but a singular noun (fact). I am going to assume that the noun was meant to be plural, because that gives me more latitude! :rofl:

1. Bees are livestock, not pets. They will not befriend you, nor care about you, but they are still a responsibility
  2. You need to commit to making regular inspections, even when it is hot weather and you don’t feel like it
  3. Beekeeping can be addictive. Be prepared for lots of expense and a growing number of hives!

There are many more than that, but here are a few.

1. A full beekeeping suit (hat, veil and all-in-one suit, or jacket and pants).
  2. A good pair of gloves, I prefer goat skin for better sensation.
  3. A J-hook hive tool - I like the mini version of these, but any J-hook will work.
  4. A really good smoker and the right fuel to use with it (I use wood chips from Mann Lake and burlap to get it started, but that is your choice).
  5. A spare brood box (a.k.a. Langstroth deep box) to rest frames in during inspections. This is much safer for the bees than resting the frames on the ground, and they are not expensive if you get a non-Flow box.
  6. A couple of linen tea towels! I drape these over the top of the frames that I am not inspecting to keep the bees covered and calmer.
  7. An in-hive feeder. I prefer either a pail feeder or a rapid feeder, but can just use a ziplock baggie. When it gets colder, you may need solid sugar or fondant. In Spring some people like to use feed patties with pollen substitute in them to boost brood production. You have to be careful with those, because small hive beetles love them too, and can damage your colony greatly. They keep well in the freezer (for years) so I just use a 1/4 to 1/2 if the brood box looks light on pollen stores
  8. A varroa inspection/counting kit. I use the Gizmo that was designed by the University of Minnesota. You can build one yourself (they have plans for it online) or buy one ready made from good beekeeping suppliers
  9. Varroa treatments. There are many of these. I prefer oxalic acid, and if you use the Forum magnifying glass search tool at the top of the page, you will read hundreds of posts about oxalic acid and other choices. You probably will not need it until late summer, unless you get a “dodgy” nucleus.
  10. A mentor, or at least a good beekeeping book. There are many of these. Some of my favorites are Beekeeping for Dummies (silly name, and some outdated concepts, but still good), Beekeepers Handbook by Sammataro is also good - a bit more college level with some good biology stuff in it. There are many other books and videos that forum members like @JeffH, @Eva and @chau06 can probably suggest to help you. In fact they may like to modify this tool list too! :wink:

Tough to answer. I would budget 1-2 hours per week per hive. You need to inspect every 1 to 2 weeks during a nectar flow, to check for pests, diseases and signs of swarming. More frequent inspections than that will set the colony back and stress it. Less frequently than that and you risk losing them to adverse factors or swarming. As you get more experienced, it will go faster. I like not to have a hive open for more than an hour, to limit the stress to the bees and also to neighbors, if you have any nearby.

Read lots, especially here, and keep asking questions! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Laura, welcome to the forum. Thank you @Dawn_SD for mentioning me.

I was given a great book quite a few years ago. If I didn’t want it, it was going into the bin. The title is “ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture”. There might be some copies going cheap on ebay, or something like that. Everything to do with bees is in this book. It’s like a “bee bible”, in my view.

A couple of great Youtube videos is “City of the Bees”, by the Moody Inst. of Science. & “Nova, Bee tales from a hive” by PBS. They both deal with bee culture. I believe that it’s important for us to understand bee culture. Without that understanding, we’re second guessing all the time.

A good smoker, when used properly, I believe is a beekeeper’s best friend.

I have one great tip to share: Be aware that bees get defensive as soon as they detect an increase in CO2 in the air. That info can help us when walking past a hive, for example. Also a group of people standing around talking near a bee hive can lead to some upset bees, if a guard bee detects that increase in CO2. In the natural world, it helps bees recognize when predators such as bears are approaching. They will hone in & attack the source of the CO2

1 Like

@Dawn_SD , thanks for caching my grammar mistake. My mom was an editor (and is a homeschool mom who LOVES grammar). She laughed when she saw the message. Oh, and she asked if you where ever a teacher. :grin: This information is so amazing thank you.

1 Like

@Dawn_SD @JeffH what kind bees would you recommend to get. Thank you so much for you time and effort into this messages. It means so much

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind post. It sounds like you have a wonderful mom!

I was formerly a Professor of medicine and pediatrics and taught at several universities.

I originally graduated from the University of Oxford in the UK. I went on to teach many years’ worth of medical students and junior doctors in the UK and the USA. I believe that it is our job to help and train those who follow us. Our future depends on having well-taught people, who can help support us and our society when we can no longer do things for ourselves. I believe in teaching and nurturing young people who have an interest in constructive concepts. I think that you will be a great beekeeper, considering your posts so far, so I want to encourage and help you.

I would suggest Italian bees. They are hard workers and very gentle (usually). Carniolans are also good, but they swarm more often (they have been known as Swarmiolans), so they are perhaps not quite as good for beginners.

Hope that gives you some help. :wink:

Thank you :smiley: That definitely helps narrow down where and what kind of bees i will get

1 Like

Hi & you’re welcome Laura. I agree with @Dawn_SD , re Italian bees.

1 Like

Hi, Laura, not sure where you are but there are several beekeeping associations around that list bee sellers on their website (I’m near Richmond) and the Virginia Beekeeping Assoc may list them as well as Virginia Beekeepers group on FB.

1 Like