Bee Competitors

Every other year or so we get hornets (yellowjackets) nesting in some structure on the property (last year it was under the deck). How do bees fare with these other flyers in the area? I also see no honeybees in the area after 10 years here, just bumblebees.

Jstrano,

My Obs are nearly the same here SE of Seattle. Our honeybee population has drasticly dropped to near nothing n very few bumblebees as well. The yellowjack n wasp population seems to be alive n well here too.

I know they are pollenators as well but have had to add traps to keep my wife who is extremely allergic from getting stung when we are eating. Yellow jacks mid to late summer seem to attack our hives.

I’m just returning to raising bees so playing catchup with new issues n problems like yellow jackets n mites we didn’t have back in the 1950’s n 60’s. Love hearing their buzz n smelling the hives n sweet odors from the hives as I work my three new colonies.

I’ve got my yellow jacket traps up n ready. I’ve already destroyed two small warps nests here. So they are up n busy already. Not sure where you are but sounds like similar problems n issues.

Take care n enjoy the :honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:bees,
Gerald

. Yesterday’s hive inspection @ 10 days …

After a great deal of research I’ve decided on a Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II - bit more than I want to pay £549, but this will also step me up a gear or 2.

Shoots in RAW, WiFi but no view finder just touch screen, 265 shots Battery life, NB-13L Lithium-ion rechargeable unfortunately my G15 Powershot is NB10L why can they never do the same battery??

20.2MP poweshot is 12.1 MP