Bees in log hives

Is there anybody here who keeps bees in logs?

Itā€™s a requirement for hives in Australia to be inspect-able. You could cut a hollow out of a log to have inside dimensions of a hive and add frame. That would look coolā€¦

Not legal in most of the US either, if it is a ā€œmanagedā€ colony. :wink:

tnx. yes I have a couple of doors to access.

There are laws that say logs are illegal?

No, but there are regulations that say that all ā€œmanagedā€ colonies must be fully inspectable for diseases and pests. In most states, skeps (woven basket hives) are illegal, because you canā€™t inspect the combs. The same would apply to logs, or any comb that is not accessible without destroying the hive. Maybe Oregon is different, but most states follow this rule.
:wink:

1 Like

This link is where my info came from:

geez that can lead to interesting conversations about mass beekeepers v those back yard keepers. I know many people here whoā€™ve received nucs from well known large beekeepers and those nucs died or absconded because they already had problems.

Donā€™t see why not - Nothing to say that it has to be in a rectangular box. I have many feral hives in trees on my cattle property - does that mean that I have to destroy them? Not trying to be smart , I just wonder if it may come to that eventually.

This may be of interest 18 Bā€™s

1 Like