Wanted. Old wooden bee boxes NSW Australia

Hi Beekeepers, I am soucing old timber bee boxes that I recycle into timber furniture. I ask that if anybody is replacing old wooden boxes with new, that they please reframe from burning the old ones. If your old boxes are damaged by rot, white-ants or contamination I still may be able to use some parts. No parts will be used in honey production. The frames are not required boxes only any size.
I am on the north coast of NSW and will travel.

Hilarious! :laughing:

There has been some concern mentioned about the collection of old boxes due to the spread of disease. What are your thoughts on this? Are you implementing any procedures to sterilise or treat the wood that you will use to prevent the spread of pests or disease?

I completely understand the concerns of Beekeepers and I would not jeopardize the honey industry. I am a strong believer in recycling and there is beautiful old timber in this product going to greenhouse gases.
The boxes are washed with detergent and stored in an enclosed room. Then sanded down and used as components in the production of indoor furniture. There is no remanence of honey left in the boxes and at no time is there any contact with bees. I’m using bee boxes mainly for their character (eg. coloured paint, brandings, wear and tear marks and a subtle honey scent) also they are a great re-useable resource that has been going to waste.
I tried to up load a photo of what I make but the site won’t let me.

All boxes from diseased hives are re-usable, simply scorch them with a blow torch, the heat that would make paint blister is all that’s required.

1 Like

Hi, good luck with your endeavors, a free add on Gumtree might work for you. I know what you mean about the wood, I recently sanded back a heap of old boxes to restore, some of the wood was absolutely beautiful. Just another tip, keep your eye out for any skips on building sites, I recently picked up some beautiful timber for new lids & bases plus hive repairs. Garage sales can also be a bit of a goldmine for good timber.

Okay thanks for that. Just wanted to be sure disease isn’t being spread.

Contact the beek clubs in your area, they would be the best source, I would think!

Hi
We may be able to help. I’d love to see example of what you are making. Where in Nrtrn NSW are you, we’re in BNE. I’m not on this forum often, not sure how to message you privately . Cheers Therese

Hi Therese, please contact me at kinganddi@yahoo.com.au subject; Beeboxes

Hi Faroe, Therese or known as thebeekeeperswife in this forum posted that she may have some boxes for me ( posted in Aug) and I left my email on site but she has not contacted me. Could forward my email address to her please kinganddi@yahoo.com.au Cheers King

All you need to do it click on her name and send her a message with your details.
Sorry, but this isn’t my role…

1 Like

Hi Therese, please contact me at kinganddi@yahoo.com.au subject; Beeboxes Cheers King