Bees very slow - help!

Update!

Queen was ordered arrived and is in the hive. Though it’s been 20 days or so and here’s what we’ve got still. I’m not seeing any obvious drones. I have one or two bees flying in and out of the hive. Can the more experienced people help me figure out what’s happening. I’m seeing darker cells now, none before, but they look like pollen to me, NO brood. The bees are extremely calm. The queen was walking quickly.

Your bees may be shutting down for winter. I would suggest feeding them with sugar syrup, as the stores don’t look all that great.

Thanks! We’ve been feeding them but the are not eating it as fast as we thought they would.

Thanks for the update, keep them coming (inc. pics :relaxed:)

Can I hijack this thread to ask a question. I have no experience of double brood on foundation free frames but a lot of people are posting pictures of their bee hives going into winter with scant coverage of quarter drawn frames in the top box. Is this arrangement ok? If my bees were like this in two boxes I might be tempted to swap boxes for the winter. I’m just curious.

1 Like

I would too, or even condense down into one box.

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn. I felt sure I was on the right track. One box would probably be my choice too. If there was brood on one or two of these frames you could leave the box under till emerged then take away

2 Likes