Bees wont go into the flowhive and are now swarming

Sorry for the delayed response…

The 3 flow frames in the hybrid super (with 4 wired wax foundation frames) were about 90-95% filled. The 6 frames in the flow super are all only about 30-40% full but they are ready for harvest based on the moisture content (14.5-15.5%). My hive has a single brood box, then the flow super, then the hybrid super on the top. The bees seem to have a preference for working the hybrid super before working the flow super.

2 Likes

well if you are using a top entrance the only way out is through the excluder no?

My girls were very reluctant to move up to the super. I took the advice I’d read on this forum and simply scraped some wax onto the FlowFrames. I also drizzled some syrup down from the top, and within 2 weeks they’d got the hang of things and a few bees were appearing. A month or so later and the super was full of bees. I’m guessing it won’t be the same problem next year.

Good luck

1 Like

Which is how the drones get stuck… they can’t get through the excluder and they will die stuck in the excluder trying to get out…

Which is another reason why Michael doesn’t use queen excluders… :wink:

There seems to be a lot of concern about the queen laying in the flow frames, yet it seems it’s really the last place she would choose given the location, plastic, etc… has anyone actually had a queen lay in their flow frames yet?

We have had 3 or 4 forumites post about this happening in their Flow frames. They tend to be drones, but they do make a problem for the Flow mechanism, meaning the frames have to dismantled and cleaned out before harvesting will go smoothly.

I have a feeling that it will be more of a problem for beekeepers working with a single brood box, but I have no firm evidence to support that hypothesis.

Dear Beeks, I swapped a brood hive into my 8 frame flo brood last Saturday, I had a few bees in the flo, but ostensibly not a lot is happening, my first hive and therefore inexperienced. I did put some syrup on the flo frames last night, no difference this morning. I keep the thinking I mucked something up when I set up and the girls have done a " runner" but they still come and go during the day. Should I use a bit of patience and wait another week before I open it up? I live in Adelaide in Australia
Jeff

They prefer wax and hive smells. I would wax the frames or rub burr comb on them, then wait 1-2 weeks.

1 Like

Are you saying you took 8 frames out of a hive and installed them into a Flow Hive brood box?

G’day Jeff, a bit of patience is absolutely essential. In transferring the bees from one brood box to another, the bees have a bit of sorting out & fixing things up to do before they move into the flow super. Also you need to wait til the worker numbers buildup & you also have to have a honey flow before the bees start building in the flow frames.

Make sure all the brood frames have a large % of worker comb on them, say, in excess of 90%. That way you’ll get a worker population in no time. Therefore, in no time (a short time) you’ll be harvesting honey.

1 Like

Hello there jeff,

I am also in adelaide- I hived a very large swarm into an 8 frame flow hive around 7 weeks ago. The swarm was so large I added the flow super immediately as the bees nearly re-swarmed. The bees filled out all the brood box frames over the least 6 weeks and numbers have steadily increased. However- despite quite a few bees going up into the the flow frames to date they have done absolutely nothing up there: no wax and no nectar. I am not worried- I feel sure they will get onto it any day now. Al the jacaranda trees in my area have started to flower- and the nectar is starting to flow.

By contrast my mums hive which was established last season had it’s flow super added around 10 weeks ago. Today we made the first harvest and harvested 14kg’s of superb honey from 5 fully capped full frames.

1 Like

Chilli,
Good pick up- and guess I was so nervous I could not count. I meant to say my 8 -2 brood box. I just think I will kick back and see what happens ( that is after I coat some bees wax on the flo frames tomorrow)

1 Like

Yup, on advice from another beek, they were happy enough to move house

I will do the wax thing in Spring when I add my super. There was good videos and information here on the site.

Taking the Perfect Bee online info class I hope we discuss the drone issue as I have a lot to learn about those dudes. If not, learning about drones and the potential of this happening is on my “to learn agenda”. I am so loving the learning aspect of this new passion. Back in school after 30 years.

I did the wax and more syrup yesterday in the flo frames. Anybody would have thought I paved them with gold as all the girls are now up there and busy. I will leave for at least two weeks, bi
It looks very promising as I looked into brood as well and it is busy busy busy

2 Likes

Good to hear :slight_smile: :bee:
I think it is gold for them :slight_smile:

I’ve got 2 Flow hives set up and I have Flow supers on both, waxed both supers and sprayed sugar syrup on one only. The one with sugar syrup is being left alone and the one with wax only is going hell for leather with thousands of bees working it.

Just goes to show, toss the coin and hope for the best.

2 Likes

Interesting about the sugar :slight_smile: