Best way to Store a Capped Frame of Honey

I have 2+ frames of capped honey in my flow brood box. They are on National Frames which I would like to weed out so I can have all the full sized Langstroths and of course make space for more brood.

On the next inspection my plan was to remove the #1 frame with capped honey and install an empty frame for them to build out.

The intention is to keep the Capped frame for later re feeding eg. coming up to winter.
My question is what is the best way to store it?
Should I store it whole somehow? or
Extract and feed it back as liquid if necessary?

any tips, advice or ideas welcome.

Can’t you just put it in a plastic bag and shove it in a fridge?

Yes I could, I even thought of freezing it. Don’t know how it comes out after defrosting, perhaps someone who has done it can post.

There are bound to be a few cells not capped so I just don’t want any fermentation to begin and spoil it.

Depends on your amenities… :wink: OK, so the main reason to freeze it is to kill off wax moth eggs and larvae in the UK, plus SHB in the US and Oz. Forty-eight hours in the freezer is enough. After that, tightly wrap it in plastic (I am not just talking cling film, you want something REALLY insect-proof, like double plastic bags with heavy duty clips on them) and store at room temperature until needed. The odd thing is, that while honey will often crystallise in the fridge, mostly it does not (unless it is OSR honey) in the freezer - there is physics behind this, I am not making it up :blush: . If you have tons of freezer space, by all means leave the frames in the freezer until needed. Get them out about 3 days before putting them back in the hive, so that they have warmed up to ambient temperature.

1 Like

Thanks Dawn. I have tons of Freezer space so perhaps that is the best way to go. Will look for a large bag.

I use Brabantia bin bags, because they are thick and nice quality. You have to get the frames in the part of the bag which doesn’t have vent holes. For that reason, I don’t use the ties that come with them, I have some nice clips from Lakeland Plastics (UK company), and they work well.

1 Like

Store?
Are you crazy?
Eat it

1 Like

Yes.

OK, the forum software won’t let me stop with 4 characters… :smile: I actually don’t like honey all that much (except for lavender honey) and it tends to wind up the IBS, so I have been know to store what we knew we couldn’t sell. David really doesn’t like it either, but he will eat it with blue cheese and walnuts. There are limits to how much you can eat that way though! :blush:

You should keep a sun hive then, Dawn
What are you going to do with all the honey you are going to drain via Flow?

Sell it to pay for the Flow… :smile: Plus all the other WRC hive parts I bought last year for double the usual cost for pine. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: However, my market is small, and there are advertising restrictions here. I know I can sell 40-50lb, plus about 20lb of comb honey. More than that, and I have to consider freezing it. Last year, too much honey wasn’t a problem. The drought was so severe, we barely had enough honey for the colonies - no excess to harvest for sure.

I wouldn’t want a sun hive - no inspections = no fun, because no brainpower needed! :imp: Plus they would technically be illegal, because you can’t inspect them and they swarm.

No brain power?
I think Heidi might disagree

Heidi is special. She puts her skills into communing and building. I like to examine what the bees are doing, and try to work out whether I can do anything to make things work better for them. Her sun hive is beautiful, and her handling of bees is inspirational, but it doesn’t float my boat. :blush:

Is special code for something else?
Sorry …: :wink:

1 Like

I’ve had some in the freezer for 10 months now and they are fine. I take them out and use them for swarm retention.

2 Likes

Hi TreeCamper, we often store frames of fully sealed honey in the freezer. It freezes well. When it’s thawed out, it goes back to it’s original state. Unlike refrigeration, in the refrigerator, the honey will crystallize.

What we do is place a plastic shopping bag over one end, then place another shopping bag over the other end so the bags well & truly overlap. Then I wrap masking tape around the middle a few times, reasonably tight to hold it all together.

If you want to cut it before freezing it, we found those oblong Chinese take away containers fantastic for that. That way you can take one out at a time as you consume it. Those lids are a bit loose, so I wrap masking tape around those as well.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff

When I pulled the National Frame out which was not needed. I decided to do the latter in your post. The comb was cut and put into take away containers some I put back onto the crown board to encourage them up a bit. Will save the cut comb for feeding back to them if necessary.
They are not ready yet to start storing in the super as there is quite a lot of space in the Brood chamber as yet. Its amazing how much extra space needs to be filled when you swap out the Nationals to Langstroth

1 Like