Between brood box and honey super

Hello,
I installed a nuc 3 weeks ago and was making my 2nd inspection and came across something that I have not seen in any of my books. See photo.
I had placed a 1/4" spacer between the brood box and honey super so I could add a pollen patty with the bees.
I am using several frames from dead outs that are mostly full of honey.
Let me know what you know about this
Thanks, Eric, do bee do bee do

Are you referring to the drone comb they built in the extra space that you made for them?

Hi Eric, definitely brood, most likely drone brood. If you leave a gap, the bees will fill it with something, sooner or later.

Leave the larva as is?

I would remove it Eric, while at the same time I’d check on the brood to see if the colony is getting ready, or making preliminary preparations to swarm. Whenever I find this between the top bars & QE, the colony is generally thinking about or getting ready to swarm. In that case I’ll split the hive.

Thanks Jeff,
I installed a 5 frame nuc earlier this month and filled in the remaining 4 with frames from a previous season (approx 40% capped honey and pollen).
A week later I put a 2nd box on and it with 10 frames, too, had about 40% honey and pollen.
Do you think my space is too confined (honey bound)? I’ll pull the hive apart next weekend and look for the signs of swarming prep you mentioned.
I might also put the Flow super on since we are in a good honey-flow period.
Thanks for your help and insights.
Eric

Hi Eric, my situation is most likely different to yours. However it doesn’t hurt to keep an eye on the brood for signs of swarming, especially during spring.

Thank you all
I’ll be inspecting again this weekend and will address the drone brood then.
do bee do bee do, Eric

1 Like