Bite Away for bee stings

Like @Peter48, I am surprised and disappointed for you. I am so allergic to most mozzie bites that I get an “Arthus reaction”. This is a 3cm speckled raised bruise with a red or black center, and a 10-15cm raised red swollen area around it.

When I use the Bite Away, about 4 or 5 times on the same site, 10 minutes apart, I don’t get the prolonged reaction (a week to 10 days) that I usually get. So sorry that it doesn’t work for you.

1 Like

@Faroe rub Vicks onto the mozzie sting as soon as you notice it and you will get reduced swelling.

My wife also makes a beeswax based ointment that works the same way. She prefers that because it doesn’t have the petroleum base.

Edit: @Dawn_SD have you tried the Vicks for your mozzie bites?

Never heard of that trick. You mean the VapoRub type of Vicks - smells of menthol/camphor?

Well, I’m not sure if my reaction was less than usual… I just thought it would work better. I got it on within about 1-2 minutes of the sting.
I’ve been stung on the shoulder before, and it’s not as bad as the face of course. One thing to mention - I find the hot/pain from bite away is not so bad on the bee sting site. Who knows with the face though… :scream:

These Sicilian mosquitoes are so bad, I had to install one of those plug-in’s because even using sprays, etc, they would still be attacking me.
They were like bombers jolting me awake for hours during the night. Will have to install a mozzie net over my bed soon so I can reduce some chemicals around me.

Haven’t tried vicks yet… I’m the same as your wife, I don’t use petroleum-based products. What is the natural ingredient you think works for the mozzie bites? Menthol or camphor?

I used it for a sting on my brave hubby’s face - low temple area, just in front of the sideburn region. He didn’t think it was that bad, and he had no swelling and very little pain or itching afterwards.

1 Like

Hiya Faroe, #1 mozzie treatment is tea tree oil. Never failed yet.
@Dawn_SD FYI
http://www.thursdayplantation.com/product-categories/australia/the-essentials-100-pure-oils/tea-tree-oil/

That is the one I mean.

I got stung on the ear yesterday. I quickly applied toothpaste to the sting & never thought much more about it. Upon reflection, the pain was basically gone straight away. It occurred to me that we use Sensodyne toothpaste. I wonder if there is something in that type of toothpaste that eases the pain of the sting.

??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :rofl:

1 Like

The Vicks vaporub. Wicks, if you’re in Germany…

1 Like

Hmm, tried that as well as lavender essential oil on the bites. Used to always have tea tree on me wherever I went. Might have to try it straight away next time and see what happens.
Wonder if it will stop this “allergic” style reaction to mozzie bites I seem to be getting.

Having experience swelling (and knowing my brother became allergic to bees after numerous stings) I bought the Bite Away and tried it once on my finger (worked well), another on my wife’s midge bite (also worked). Right now I’m typing this with one eye swollen shut. Hanging the sheets up which happen to be about 3 mtrs from my hives, I must have upset a bee (maybe it was on the damp sheet) and it stung me just above the eye. I thought I’d scraped the sting out so I finished hanging the sheets out and then went in to apply the Bite Away only to find the sting still there. Applied the Bite Away numerous time but still lots of swelling (and spelling mistakes from one eyed typing). I’d include a photo but I’m an ugly bugger at the best of times. Don’t want to field lots of calls from Horror film producers for a part in their next film.:japanese_ogre:

3 Likes

Had to laugh at your story Alan, but I feel for you too.
Time to keep an eye for signs of preparation for swarming. I have done some splits already and hearing about unwanted swarms in walls, under roofs and so on.
My hives are bulging at the seams with a few degrees raise in temperature and figure you will be in the same boat.
Regards Alan

1 Like

Agree @Peter48 with the imminent swarm season. Well, it’s already here. Came back from two weeks holiday, ( no beehives in the Maldives I see), and immediately split one hive and had planned to do the next one the next day but they beat me to it. Fortunately the swarm keeps on going to the same tree about 7-8 ft above the ground. After my sting and subsequent bung eyes (the other eye swelled too) I’m a little wary walking around the hives now. Will invest in a veil.

2 Likes

A veil is a handy bit of kit and a sting to the face is probably the worst place to get a hit. I have a full suit that is too hot even at this time of year, sweating makes the bees aggressive, but have also bought a smock with a hat and veil in one that had a handy pocket at the stomach position on EBay that from memory was under $30 that is nowhere near as hot to wear.
I have already done my splits and so won’t have to worry till next month when I will assess the hives again.
It is common to have swarms initially to go to the same location and stay there till the scout bees have found a more permanent location for the colony.
Regards

Why does sweating make the bees aggressive? I’m a terrible sweater in general. Love the heat, but sweat profusely.
I was sweating so much, some sweat was dripping into the hive off my face when I was doing an inspection last time. LOL At this point I thought, hmmm, maybe they don’t like me dripping on them.
Nothing I can do about the sweat though. It’s in my DNA. I dried dripping off to the side, and continuing, but it’s pretty hardcore. I hope a new mesh suit will help with the sweaty situation soon.
:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
A friend mentioned putting salt on the skin. But I thought, sweat must be salty, so that couldn’t work.

1 Like

I haven’t got a technical answer for that but in Aussie terms I guess sweating is the beginning of BO. Yesterday was a good example when I worked on my hives most of the afternoon with about 27c ambient in a 1/2 lightweight suit, no sweating and no agro. Then later in the afternoon I had a chap come for an intro to bee keeping and I changed to a full suit and he put my 1/2 suit on. By the time we walked back to the bees I was starting to feel overheating and by the time I showed him through the first hive the bees were getting wound up at me but showing him no attention. I have yet to find a full suit that allows good air flow.
Anyhow, the intro to an open hive and an apiary went well, he was not phased at all and as he had “passed” my tests and because yard at his place is a fairly steep block we discussed the pro’s and con’s of a Flow Hive V’s a traditional and he agreed on my advise to buy a Flow Hive.

Take your friends suggestion with a grain of salt, that won’t work.

I love the warm climate close to the temperature I feel hot if I exert much energy so I guess we have the same DNA. The climate here is about 3c warmer than where you were a beach babe :sunglasses:
Cheers

Hmmm, well, then that would depend on your deodorant etc. I’ve had a good one recently that’s natural, but no smell.
Unless it’s something in the sweat which smells like their warning pheromones.

Maybe your full suit has some leftover stinger/warning smell left in it?

Who says I’m not still a beach babe? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I live in Palermo, Sicily, so it gets pretty warm here too, especially when there is a scirocco around. And plenty of beaches around too :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh Faroe, you are a tease :grinning:

I have always thought along those lines. I recall working my hives at Mudgee in really hot weather and on approaching a hive covered in sweat the guard bee were instantly aggressive.
I wash my full suit almost every time I wear it for the reason you have pointed out, but I think it attracts the bees attention because the suit is so hot and most times I sweat up. Often I work in shorts and a T shirt with a lightweight 1/2 suit if it is needed which is seldom but if I have some heavy work and start to seat up it is like turning on a light switch with the bees, they start to buzz me.
Regards

Have you ever considered Botox? No, I am not talking about the facial application. For severe hyperhidrosis, Botox is very effective.