Boston, Mass Area Bee Keepers?

Anyone else using a Flow Hive in the Boston area? Would love to connect.

Jared

Hi Jared!

My name is Al and I live in Malden. I’ve been interested in beekeepers and bees for a while and am going to purchase a Flow Hive. I’m allergic to bees, wasps, hornets, and Yellowjackets, so I decided the Flow hive would give me the best chance at survival! lol

Have you had a positive experience with Flow hive? Hat should I know first, since I’m new to beekeeping? How do the bees fare in the winter? I don’t want to start a hive and have the bees die in the winter.

Looking forward to hearing from you and your experiences with beekeeping in Boston. Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers!
Al

I’m pretty sure that Jim @VinoFarm lives not far from Boston, in the New England region. You can follow his Youtube channel.

I’m not Jared, however if you are allergic to bees, owning a flow hive wont stop you from getting stings unless you were able to engage someone to manage the hive so that all you had to do was harvest the honey while suited up.

Then you have the issue of the odd angry bee in the yard (several meters away from the hive) that will sting without any warning whatsoever.

1 Like

Al,

Jeff is 100% correct. The Flow is just a different way to harvest honey. But all the work that is required to keep bees still has to get done - and a Flow hive does nothing to protect you (or anyone else) from being stung during those interactions. My STRONG suggestion is buy nothing at this point. Find a local beekeeping club/organization and take a beekeeping course aka Bee School. There is a ton to learn – all of it fascinating. I can’t really comment on how the Flow worked for me as my plan/goal for season one was to try and get the hive strong enough to get through the winter, so I harvested nothing. But when I last checked on them a few weekends ago, both seemed to be in fine shape. Still a long way to go, but if they make it through, my goal will be to try and harvest from 1 using the Flow super and from the other using a traditional super. Best of Luck.

Jared

3 Likes

Yeah, thanks for the advice. There’s a class the BABA is putting on in JP I’m looking into.
A beekeeper in Woburn is open this Thursday, so I thought I’d check it out.
Thanks again everyone!
P.s. Amazon has a ton of bee books. Anyone have suggestions on some good ones? I know basically nothing, except for the video lessons I paid for through Flow Hive.

2 Likes