Bottom board debris brown

Can anyone tell me what this massive amount of debris is? From coreflute under screen bottom board. Had black ant infestation two weeks ago thought they did it but they are gone hive seems otherwise healthy. There is a large hole in one frame where they either did not build comb or ate thru it?

1 Like

Are you in a SHB area? That looks like debris after the bees have successfully overcome SHB damage. The large hole in the frame kind of confirms it. Make sure you don’t have any large areas of drone comb in the brood. Chances are the large hole in your frame was drone brood. The beetles will be able to lay eggs in drone comb easier than worker comb because the buildup of recently hatched drones around the drone comb wont stop the beetles from laying eggs in the unhatched drones.

1 Like

I am in NJ, have only seen one hive beetle in a hive I purchased, not this one. Did take out a damaged frame from this hive several weeks ago, see pix below
the other side of the frame looked perfectly normal honey/pollen, still unsure what caused that, also had a bear wipe out a box killing one of my queens, quite an educational spring (my second year beekeeping!) Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Could be wax moth. I would probably render that wax, to help kill off some of the mould in the comb.

1 Like

That wouldn’t be a mouse causing that damage, would it? It looks like you have too many frames for the size of the colony, going by the mold on the frame.

LC,

What position was that frame in the five. Inner frame, center, wall frame. It is nasty lđź‘€King !

What’s your Wx been, cold n wet, warm n wet, sunny, cloudy, etc ?!

Just curious.
Gerald

No sign of mice, the weird mold? Frame was outside wall facing out. I will look at them again today to see if anything else. So along with my misc findings a bear toppled one of my new hives on 5/24 killing the queen. On June 2 there were 7 capped queens, June 11 found one emerged queen cell only with all brood hatched. Found what could be virgin queen small no stripes pale color. 6 frames of bees with honey. Very little empty drawn comb. Full deep of new frames empty on top as this was new hive. Do I just watch and wait. Should I add some brood from other hive? Should I add empty drawn comb from other hive? Very worried about what was my strongest hive. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

It has been wet and cold spring this was our first hot week!

Good idea.

Only if there are enough bees to cover it and use it. Otherwise it is just more space to defend.

So to update my bee dilemma, I added two frames of brood, (second one today) to my bear damaged/queenless/or virgin queen hive, first frame of brood/nurse bees I put in there seems to be getting along fine, and spotted the new queen! She actually looks almost identical to my flow hive queen so made me panic a bit thinking did I put my other queen in there by accident (I was careful to find her first yesterday), so went back and took me awhile but found my original flow queen where she belongs! Will wait now and see if my new queen is laying! Thanks again for all your help!

PS no sign of further damage in the hive I was asking about, the holes are almost filled in with new wax already!

2 Likes

LC,

Good to hear for now things are settled n ironed out. It was nice to chat ! Sounds like your moving ahead !

Keep in touch n Ta Ta,
Gerald

You get time … Snap a could pix’s of your apiary n just the region/woods around you. I really enjoy seeing other parts of the States n World.

Cheers,
Jerry

PS I just gave the benediction for my " Cedar Hive ". It was a fresh Nuc on 15th April. By mid April was Queenless with a number of Supercedural queue cell. I waited for results n the new queen to get with it.

So to update my bee dilemma, I added two frames of brood, (second one today) to my bear damaged/queenless/or virgin queen hive, first frame of brood/nurse bees I put in there seems to be getting along fine, and spotted the new queen! She actually looks almost identical to my flow hive queen so made me panic a bit thinking did I put my other queen in there by accident (I was careful to find her first yesterday), so went back and took me awhile but found my original flow queen where she belongs! Will wait now and see if my new queen is laying! Thanks again for all your help!

PS no sign of further damage in the hive I was asking about, the holes are almost filled in with new wax already!

Gerald_Nickel
June 13
LC,

What position was that frame in the five. Inner frame, center, wall frame. It is nasty l​King !

What’s your Wx been, cold n wet, warm n wet, sunny, cloudy, etc ?!

Just curious.
Gerald

<5E8715C7002941DDAEC1DD0390E52EEC.png>
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

LC1
June 12
I am in NJ, have only seen one hive beetle in a hive I purchased, not this one. Did take out a damaged frame from this hive several weeks ago, see pix below [image] the other side of the frame looked perfectly normal honey/pollen, still unsure what caused that, also had a bear wipe out a box killing…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

OMG that bear looks so cute :open_mouth:
Maybe not so good when they’re trying to get honey out of your Flow frames :wink:

That picture didn’t belong here in this forum, sorry I was trying to respond to Gerald’s message and the pictures weren’t going through must have clicked this one accidentally! but yes he did look cute, the day before the attack on my hive! Now not that cute! Extended electric fence seems to be working, fingers crossed!

1 Like