Breakfast is served: Cut-comb honey

Totally agree Brad, it’s definitely an undervalued resource. Prior to keeping bees the most I would pay for honey was $15/kg and had bought wild flower honey for $4/kg. Never have bought off the supermarket shelf. Knowing the honey making process now, the effort of the bees and keeper, gives me new appreciation and I still cringe when I sell honey for $15/kg!
I do only look at the hobby side not the commercial side though.

2 Likes

I feel the same way - that it is undervalued but there is a sweet spot ( no pun intended :slight_smile: ) in marketing it. Too pricey and it won’t sell and you won’t find those valuable repeat customers. I don’t want to keep honey around and usually sell it within a couple of weeks of harvesting at $15-16/kg depending on the jar size.

3 Likes

agreed- in Adelaide I can readily purchase good honey for $10 a kilo. At the cinema you could easily pay $6 for 1 KG of filtered water (1000ml). Now when I sell a KG of supreme 100% natural honey for $15 I always feel like me, and me bees- have been slightly cheated.

I can’t imagine how Jeff parts with his for $5.70!?

The economy is a strange thing- the average coffee tree only produces 4 or 5 kg of coffee per year. If you consider how much coffee a 2 cup a day person consumes annually- you soon realise that for every coffee drinker in the World (billions) there are multiple trees set aside just for each of them. If it wasn’t for global inequality- there is no way we in the West could have a cup of coffee for a few dollars. It would cost 20 times that amount most likely.

The real cost of things bears little relation to the cost in the global marketplace. Honey seems to me to be greatly undervalued.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, Jack and @cathiemac. I sometimes wish we could go back to the barter system and cut out the middle men.

3 Likes

Value(s): I so appreciate getting to start my day with cut-comb honey from my bees on fresh sourdough bread (with that ridiculously inexpensive coffee…)
:purple_heart::honeybee::honey_pot::coffee:️:bread:
Let’s see, at $8.99/2.5 oz, that comb of honey is worth it’s weight in gold :hugs:

4 Likes