Breakfast is served: Cut-comb honey

My daughter just sent me this photo of Honey and croissants served at a breakfast buffet in Buenos Aires.

A dramatic presentation
:purple_heart::honeybee::honey_pot::star_struck:

14 Likes

Oh that is so coolā€¦

1 Like

Very similar to one at Oā€™Riellyā€™s behind the Gold Coast. Verry runny.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a similar serving stand online somewhere where a frame is uncapped and inverted and the honey runs/drips out and is caught in a copper channel and directed to a bowl. It was very fancy and decadent. Canā€™t remember where I saw it

2 Likes

Yes, very similar to a breakfast buffet we had in Hawaii. Canā€™t remember if it was on Maui or Oā€™ahu. I only had a teeny taste. Didnā€™t look all that inviting.
But at some other resort, they served cut comb on a plate. I liked that better and carved a chunk off.

I wonder how much honey gets wasted with these kinds of setups.

1 Like

If I was the chef at the hotel, I would take the dish under the frame and drain it every day into a jar after breakfast. Then I would use the jarred honey in my gourmet dishes served at exorbitant prices! :smile:

5 Likes

Same here Dawn, I know thereā€™s a lot of food waste at those types of places. It seems criminal to waste honey.

I can see how easy it would be for this topic to go off course. ā€œFood wasteā€. My pet hate.

4 Likes

thatā€™s immediately what I thought when I saw one- ā€˜seems wastefulā€™? I hate wasting any honey and go to silly lengths to try and save every spoonful. I look at a teaspoon of honey left somewhere and think: some bee worked itā€™s whole life to make that- and now Iā€™ve just wasted it!

3 Likes

Speaking of comb honey, whatā€™s the going rate for a 4" square of it, or in ounces/grams however itā€™s sold in your area? I saw boxes of squares from shallow frames being sold at a gift shop in Lancaster county PA - granted a very touristy place - for $22!!

2 Likes

I would say that $20+ for 12oz is pretty typical in my area. I would go for $25, because mine is ā€œultra localā€ :smile: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

I found this at my co-op the other day; I think they are dreamingā€¦

They didnā€™t even bother to surround the comb with liquid honey!

2 Likes

As a matter of interestā€¦ do they freeze the comb to stop any beatle/ moth lava growing in the jar?

2.5 ounces? :scream: 70grams? Tell 'em their dreaming (the castle).

1 Like

Wwow, would anyone buy that ā€” at any price. that reminds me of years ago someone was selling cans of fresh air. :joy:

No idea. But I doubt it.

I know! Too crazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: even for Seattle. Then I found this on Amazon, same honey-but even pricier :crazy_face:

The other honey in the photo is much more reasonably priced, at 8 or 11 oz for the cut comb.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Enjoy

If they can sell it at that priceā€¦good luck to them.
Iā€™ve noticed that bee keepers undervalue their product to a ridiculous degree. My feeling is that you shouldnā€™t even be trying to compete with supermarket prices. Market it as something special.
The people whoā€™ll buy raw honey at a market for $9/kilo donā€™t care about the product, just the price.

2 Likes

Fresh air is a big seller from Australia to China. I canā€™t remember the company name but they have numerous sites around Australia were they can the air (sea, mountain, desert, etc).

1 Like