Brood frame wire

Wiring the brood frame after making a rough jig. Still not happy with the wire, worried it might be too loose? Made it as tight as possible.82da8c7e-885a-48ea-810a-6267292a51f2

Sorry I didn’t find this link in time for you, but it might help if you decide to do any more. RBK used to be on this site, and he posted a link to some lovely photos of a home-made frame jig here:

I just use a sash clamp and pull the sides in when wiring. Works a treat for the small numbers I do.

Brilliant!
My issue was:
Could not get the wire as taught as I wanted.
Question: Does the wire need to be very taught/tight?

It needs to be straight, and if you “twang” it, sound like a (somewhat) musical instrument. If it sounds dud, or rattles like a snare drum, it isn’t tight enough. Your SS wire looks pretty thick and will be hard to tighten enough, you might want to try with the fishing line instead. Same method. :wink:

2 Likes

I agree with @Dawn_SD, that wire does look a bit too thick.

Personally, based on recent experience, I would prefer no wire at all if I wasn’t using foundation. I found that the bees don’t like bare wire in the frames when it comes to brood. They will sometimes build around it.

In the honey super is a different story. They are not so fussy in the honey super.

I prefer frames with properly fitted wax foundation in the brood box. The bees do a beautiful job on those.

1 Like

Will do.
Just bought thinner wire.
Been bothering me all darn night!!!
Thanks

Thanks Jeff,

Have just redone most the frames.

How do I go about getting the wax?

Just sent an email to Honey Flow.

Excuse my stupidity…learning!!!

Cheers,

George (Jasper)

Hi Dawn,

Just redone most the frames, ready to play guitar…almost!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

George (Jasper)

1 Like

Hi skeggley,

Great tool.

I am using a jig and some of the gear from my boating/fishing days. Turnbuckle does a great job of tightening the wire. However, it is finishing the wiring off that is the problem. It will often sag after being nice and tight. I have used some swages/crimps from when I used to make my own fishing lures.

Any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

George (Jasper)

@skeggley will no doubt answer, but I thought you might like to see this. One method I use is to pull the wire tightly with pliers pushing the wire as I go to get the initial stretch out of it and then twist around the end tack. At this stage the wire is tacked at each end. It is reasonably tight at that stage, but the final thing I do is to put another tack between the two eyelets as per the photo. You put the sharp point of the tack in and then lever the wire and it gets tighter that way and then hammer off.

by the way- you don’t really need the eyelet at each end where the wire goes against the grain - I still use them there however.

Thanks. Another VERY GOOD IDEA!

I am having some success with the “Turnbuckle” gradullally tightening the wire as I pull it throught the holes, but your idea will make that even better.

Cheers!

Hi George, You can get it from beekeeping suppliers. If you were closer to me, I could show you how to properly fit it. @Macbee is on the Gold Coast, if you ask him, he might be able to help you.

Thanks, will do as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Cheers!

Using eyelets helps too. If you use a sash clamp on the sides to pull the wood in say 5mm then wire by hand and tie off then release the clamp you’ll get the idea. I’d do a frame in a couple of minutes and my conscerned is that they are too tight! Remember that the wire won’t stretch.
I bought wired foundation frames to begin with they weren’t much more and for the small quantity I needed it wasn’t a big saving. I enjoy putting the frames together and wiring them now, it’s no chore.

Hi,

Would love to see a short video on you doing the frame your way! Might help many others too.

Cheers,

George

This isn’t me but it’s similar to how I do it. The sash clamp part that is.

Hope this helps.
1 Like

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I thought I was “inventing ways to do this an easier way.

My first problem: I am annex boat fanatic, so I have tools by the dozens.

1. I had a big roll of unused stainless wire that was way to thick.

2. I simply did not have a proper plan, which I always have.

By the way, anyone with a work bench so darn NEAT needs to get a bonus!!

Cheers,

George

1 Like

Hi George. Happy to assist where I can. Ken

2 Likes

Hmm, in my Grinch/Scrooge mode, I would say, anyone with a work bench so darn NEAT needs to get a LIFE!!! :smile:

:heart_eyes::rofl::sunglasses::smiling_imp:

2 Likes