Can a Langstroth 8 brood box be used as a nuc box?

You’re absolutely right Peter. I did say I was adding a super. It’s extra brood I want to add :+1:

Hey James, Not knowing your climate do other bee keepers in your area run double brood boxes? I ran double brood boxes when I was living West of Sydney in the Blue Mountains in a much colder climate than where I am now and single brood boxes is the normal, it is also much easier to manage a single brood box. With a thought towards Winter, is it far enough of that the colony will rxpand enough to take up the brood box with a double? That is a lot of extra space for the bees to heat - or would you be better holding off till the spring to give them the extra space to reduce the chance of swarming as the weather warms up?
Just thoughts for considering.
Cheers

Hey Peter. I have only been in the game for 4 weeks. The bees have little space left at the moment. So it’s just an experiment to give them extra space. I will overwinter with only 1 brood box. And hopefully I’ll get 2 drawn frames from the extra brood box before winter

Most local beekeepers to James only run a single brood with two honey supers over a QE. Some pack down one or two of the honey supers for winter some don’t.

There is a local bee meeting, in Bunbury, this Wednesday James if you can make it. Have a look on the Western Australia Apiarist Society chapters for the Capel one.

https://waas.org.au/events

Adam

1 Like

Thank Adam. I definitely going to that meeting on Wednesday. I will arrive early with a hundred questions :+1:

1 Like

You’ll be just like the rest of us then…

1 Like

Then you can can expect at least a thousand different answers. Suggest you take snacks and fluid refreshment! :smile:

4 Likes

Haha thanks guys :+1:. At least I know I’m not alone in my search for knowledge

That has cracked me up Dawn, :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like