Flow Hive users UK 8 or 10 frame Langstroth?

Hi all, I am very new to beekeeping and plan to make a start this spring. I have ordered my first 2 nucs but before placing order for the hives wanted to ask for some help to decide if I should go for the 6 or 7 frame flow supers with 8 or 10 Langstroth system?

Weight wouldn’t be an issue but cost is so ideally I would prefer the 8 frame system. However I am concerned how well do the bees survive winter as there is less honey stored which also acts as insulation.

Also is it difficult to get replacement brood boxes for 8 frame Langstroth in UK?

Thank you all

Hi Elokni,

I am in the UK and have two FlowHive with 8 Frames, I double brood my hive last year. I am planning put the hives in triple brood and see how they coupe with it.

Have you ordered two Nucs’ in Langstroth or National, most people who sell Nuc in the UK sell National there are few who do Langstroth.

Also have you done a course in beekeeping because it would be worth doing one. As you will learn the basic to keeping bees and what is required.

1 Like

Flow sell extra brood boxes in the US, so I would imagine they may do so in the UK too. Just look at the UK web site for Flow Supers and Brood Boxes - Flow Hive US

:blush:

If you have ordered a nucleus on National frames, don’t worry, it is not a big deal to adapt them. :wink:

Bee Equipment sell 8 Frame Brood Boxes, I have bought from them.

Also FlowHive do sell 8 frame brood boxes and you get them in either the Cedar Wood or Laser cut Araucaria brood boxes.

I have seen the Araucaria boxes and are excellent cut easy to put together.

The Araucaria boxes are cheaper than Cedar also if you planning to have two hive, I would utilise FlowHive bundle offer which provides you with smoker, jacket, tool which you would require to buy anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice.

I managed to source local beekeper who is using both National and Lanstroth. So the nucs i have booked are Langstroth.

I am planning on taking courses this spring and have spent the past few months with my nose in the books and gathering info online whenever possible.

Do you insulate your 8 frame hives for winter and if you started now as newbee with beekeeping would you have chosen 10 frame system may I ask?

I want to make sure I make the right decisions in choosing the best hive setup.

Other dilemma I have is cedar vs pine. I am planning to paint it but I guess painted cedar would last decades? So it would be worth the investment.

Apologies for asking so many questions but there is so many opinions online and many based on different kind of hives.

Thank you again

Thank you.

The nucs that i ordered are on Langstroth, and yes Flow hive do sell the boxes also on their EU site. But there is quite high postage costs so unless i get them with the rest of the order it might end up too costly.

The upside would be ofcourse that all equipment would definitely match in size.

That is good you are able to source Nuc in Lanstroth. Which in the UK are you based. I am now the treasurer of the club I belong to and our Beekeeping beginner course has already filled up.

I do not insulate the hive as it is not that cold in London. I am not used to the 8 frames though you don’t get cedar brood boxes in 8 frames in the UK unless you buy from FlowHive. I have bought some Pine 8 frame brood boxes and hives that I will use in swarm control. As long as the pine gives me 5 years minimum I would be happy with that.

I kind of like the 8 Frame hives, I have double brood and going to test and see if the bees do well with a third brood box. Though I can’t tell you how it will go till I do try it.

It does not really matter if you go for 8 or 10 frame as long as you then have all your equipment in the same format as it would make your beekeeping easier. Swarm control creating new colonies etc.

When I bought the FlowHive there was only Cedar, they are slightly lighter weight than pine. But do remember all wood does have wear and tear outside. I used Tug Oil on my FlowHive to keep the wood effect.

Have a look at come of the video I have done in my first 18 months of beekeeping. Hope it helps you learn from it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl73-quqJ_wBsHNilmBtpNg?view_as=subscriber

@Dee has been keeping bees in the UK for around a decade, and I believe that she does insulate for winter. She uses thick/rigid building insulating foam sheets, which she cuts to size and fits around the hive. She also insulates the roof.

You actually don’t even need to paint cedar. I kept bees in the UK in WBC hives, for many years. The hives were all cedar and mostly unpainted. They were still in good shape after over 20 years. Some of the WBC lifts were painted white, and it was a pain when they started peeling. We preferred the beautiful silvered wood of the unpainted hives. If it is pine, you will need to paint it, otherwise it will warp and rot within a few years.

If you are worried about the cost of the extra 8 frame brood boxes, you might want to ask UK beekeeping suppliers. Mann Lake used to have them, but they have closed down in the UK, I believe. Also, I think that they were pine, not cedar. Thorne has cedar brood boxes, but they look like 10 frame only:

Might be worth calling them though, they may know where you could get what you want if they don’t stock it. I found them very helpful in the past.

2 Likes

Hi Elokni,

Whether you need insulation or not, you will be guided in your beginner course. Each area in the UK are different due to the temp and London has been warmer each year I have noticed. Here in Epping Forest non of the beekeepers insulate their hives.

I have not insulated my hive and my bees have been copping well, they still alive at present. Get guidance from your local association before getting any insulation.

I live in Southend area so not far from London. So I guess temperatures in the winter would be similar. I guess more of a concern is damp as it seems to stay quite wet here throughout winter.

There is lots of information available on different materials used for insulating both for warmth and damp control. I have been trying to find information on using cork as insulation material as it is natural and breathable. However haven’t found much info in relation to bees. Only few companies that have made full hives out of cork wood. But I’m hoping to try it out and will certainly share results :slight_smile:

So far I havent had any luck finding cedar brood boxes in uk for 8 frame Langstroth so will probably order couple from Flow Hive to double the brood. Have you used pine brood boxes on cedar? As i understand there is minor difference in thickness but in general they are supposed to match?

Thank you for the link, i have watched some of your videos before :smile:

Nice setup you have there and I look forward to new videos on 3 brood boxes!

Have you made your mind up if you want to have 8 or 10 frame hive?

I would be interested in knowing how you get along. do keep in touch as always interested on how others are doing.

I sure will make update video of this year, also planning to use few frames with no foundation to see how the bees take a liking to it.

Mann Lake bought this beekeeping supplier. When they pulled out they rose like the Phoenix from the ashes.

1 Like

I think I will go for 8 frame cedar just wondering how pine brood boxes fit on it? It seems it is difficult to find cedar Langstroth in uk. As they are all for the same frame size they should fit surely?

10 frames, though https://www.thorne.co.uk/hives-and-bees/hives/langstroth-hives/langstroth-hive-flat?product_id=1604

Bee-quipment 8 frame, like you suggest are pine but are the same dimension so fit on cedar boxes. They are just darn heavy and you have to paint them

1 Like

Thank you for the link, they sure have a lot of things on their website :slight_smile:

Have you tried using pine boxes on cedar, do they match with each other?

It seems that 10 frame systems are easier to find replacements for in uk. But 8 frame setup for 2 hives would be considerably cheaper.

I would definitely like cedar for durability.

Decisions decisions, still can’t make my mind up :smile:

They have the same footprint so yes they fit

1 Like

Hi
I overwintered with a double brood box and the bees have survived and appear to be very strong, this morning they were very busy and bringing pollen in.
I live in Norfolk.

1 Like