Can any one Identify this wasp or fly

StEq4VUTSbmem1mkKfb1Yw|375x500

Don’t know if the pictures uploaded. Looked like they were laying eggs in the cracks. The bees knew something was happening but couldn’t work out what it was until I killed on. The bees went looking through the cracks trying to get rid of the eggs.

That looks very much like a Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens) depositing eggs.

3 Likes

I agree with @JeffH. Just to add, they are harmless to bees, and great for helping to make compost and recycling in the garden. :wink: Some people even eat them (or the grubs)… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, I had seen somewhere on facebook about them but i wasn’t sure about them.

1 Like

Thanks Dawn_SD, My hive is sitting over a garden so I’m guessing it’s a safe play to lay eggs plus the hive is about 10m from my compost bin.

1 Like

People have eaten the grubs, but not me or Wilma :slight_smile: If I had chooks, I’d feed them to the chooks, & then eat the eggs. People raise them to feed chooks & fish as in aquaponics.

2 Likes

I also found an interesting insect while looking at my honeybees with my stereoscope. It appears to be a fairy fly, or mymaridae, a miniature parasitic wasp. I’ve never seen one before, and wondered if anyone has experience with them.

I picked up a few dead bees outside my hive last week, so don’t know if the wasp was in the hive, or just a hitch hiker. Too cold to check inside! 32F in Seattle today.

Scale: sewing pin

Wow, that’s amazing. I did not know there were wasps that tiny. Thank you for sharing your photographs.

Because of the thickness of the femora, do you think it might be a Pteromalid? Definitely a Chalcid wasp though. Nice find! :blush:

Hi Cathie, we know how small aphids are. I was interested when I came across this video on youtube.

cheers

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
Wow. Nice footage. Though I’m just starting my research, it seems that mymaridae are being used for IPM in many places.

Tracey

1 Like

Hi Dawn,
Could be. I was thinking mymaridae due to the size of the insect as well as the long clubbed antennae. When I did an image search, “close match” images popped up, but nothing in my part of the world.

I was hoping that maybe some of our Aussie beeks would know about mymaridae as “The largest number of species can be found in tropical forests, with the greatest diversity in genera found in the Southern Hemisphere (South America, New Zealand, and Australia). In the Nearctic (North America), only around 28 (of around 100) genera and 120 (of around 1424) species are found.” wikipedia

A few years ago Samantha, a researcher at the San Diego Zoo, found a fairy wasp tangled in the legs of another bee when looking through a microscope…hmmm, that sounds SO familiar. (I will be contacting her to see if she knows more.)

More Youtube fun times:

One of my questions is, has anyone ever found them to be parasites of honeybees?
Any ID guidance or pointing in the right direction greatly appreciated!