Can I Count Humans as Pests? I want to cry... šŸ˜¢

I am so very sad. I think we will lose at least 2 hives, and possibly all 3 that we care for. All because of selfish, thoughtless, ignorant humans.

I know this happens. It is a fact of urban beekeeping. However, every time I lose a hive it costs me heartache, hours of cleanup time and around $300 in replacement costs. My bees are helping people, why are they so inconsiderate in spraying pesticides?

I posted the problem on a local web site, and others local to me noticed dying bees from about 4pm yesterday within 0.5 miles from me. The dead bees are everywhere. On sidewalks, in parks, in gardens.

Red arrow points to extended proboscis = poisoned by insecticides. :astonished::thinking:

So sad. Thank you for listening while I cry. :cry:

6 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry Dawn! Thatā€™s a fear of mine too!!! Ugggggh! I wish everyone knew the dangers instead of shopping for poison at their local home improvement store! :sob::honeybee:

2 Likes

Oh Dawn! So sorry to hear it! This is awful. And yes, a regular threat for us urban keepers.

I live in a very environmentally aware area, but thereā€™s always a few!

2 Likes

Hi Dawn, Iā€™m also very sorry to read of your loss. Yes, you CAN count humans as pests.

5 Likes

So sad Dawn, and even sadder that it is becoming more common. I wonder if the local media would pick up on your story as an example of what humans are doing to the environment. It only takes a few to ruin it for all of us.
Cheers

2 Likes

Awful to see @Dawn_SD, sorry you have to deal with that!

1 Like

Yes it is a sad time and seems the ā€œmeā€ factor, bugger anyone else is at play here. As long as pesticides are safe for humans, nothing else seems to matter.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s absolutely devastating Dawn, Sadness, Grief and Anger ā€¦ Never has there been so much interest in the plight of bees and the work being done to keep them healthy and yet, we still have idiotic government agencies and ā€œpeopleā€ who can only see ā€œtheir little problemā€ and not the bigger picture.

3 Likes

ugh! I am so sorry for the losses Dawn and I really hope enough bees survive to save the colonies.

Just today I have seen what looks like it may be poisoning at one of my own hives. I just canā€™t believe how people can just spray deadly poisons everywhere- as if our cities were not polluted enough- or nature pushed enough. And the vast majority of the time for no good reason at all.

4 Likes

Oh my dear, I am so sorry to see this!!! Just devastating. Those poor bees. I echo everyoneā€™s responses and agree with Peterā€™s idea of contacting local media!

Meanwhile, my heartfelt condolences to you and David and the other beekeepers there :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Actually an executive producer from CBS has contacted me after I posted the story on www.nextdoor.com. They want to do a short segment about it, advising people of alternatives to spraying. :blush:

3 Likes

David made a couple of short videos showing what we saw bees doing on the weekend. :cry:

Hard to believe, but one neighbor is contesting the concept that it is insecticide-induced. :astonished: Perhaps predictable that he used to work for Monsanto, Bayer and others as an environmental scientist. He claims to be an ā€œapiaristā€ too. What a jerkā€¦

2 Likes

A great job well done by David and you, and excellent that CBS are concerned for the environment as well.
Monsanto, Bayer and those like them are only interested in profit for share holders and their own bonuses. They are incredibly short thinking and narrow minded. Your neighbor sold his soul to the highest bidder, if he is genuinely an apiarist he would be a whistle-blower too. I think ā€˜jerkā€™ would be a good fit for himā€¦
Well done for doing your bit for the environment and bees.
Cheers

3 Likes

We inspected the hive yesterday. It stank to high heaven of dead bees. There were a few thousand left alive inside, plus some very nice brood. We saw the queen, but she was moving slowly. The entrance was blocked with dead bees, so we took the hive apart and cleaned off the bottom board. I would give it a 10% chance of surviving. Here is a video of the bottom board:

:cry:

1 Like

Those images are very hard to look at. Iā€™m glad your story will be told to a wider audience in your area, and hope that so-called scientist gets a dose of his own double-talk someday. Wow.

2 Likes

oh no not you too!!!
i cleaned the dead ones and reduced the entrance and put a feeder on the hive and mine are coming back pretty quickly now

2 Likes

Well, I am embarrassed to say that yesterday we were seen on local TV. I donā€™t know if you can watch this clip, but just in case it is available to a wider audience, here is the link:

https://www.cbs8.com/video/life/animals/insecticide-may-be-to-blame-for-killing-thousands-of-bees/509-f21dd0a6-f604-4502-b0f0-3f4af62b52c7

:blush:

As an aside, the affected queen was not laying after we did this news recording, and we think the hive will die.

7 Likes

No need to be embarrassed @Dawn_SD you and David presented the facts and environmentally friendly alternatives very well. I hope the colony recovers,

2 Likes

Dawn- is there any chance you could condense it down to a Nuc box? If there are not many bees left they will probably recover fast in a smaller box? I do this if a hive swarms and is massively reduced in numbers. I hope you have some luck with those poor bees.The news piece was very good, well done- and letā€™s hope it influences a few people to change how they do things.

Out of curiosity- what is that conflicted neighbor of yours suggesting as the cause?

2 Likes

Well done Dawn. Hopefully if the mountain of information gets high enough something will happen to ensure bees are safe from insecticides and herbicides.

2 Likes