Cape Town - SOUTH AFRICAN flow keepers

Hi Anton
where are you based in Cape Town South Africa

Arthur

No we never ordered we were just very interested in the “feedback” at
that stage.

All the feedback I saw was very to quite negative.

Did you order one?

HI Thomas has flow hive arrived yet.
any update on your flow hive

from

Arthur

Hi CT BeePeeps!
I’m new to this and wanting to get a flow hive as it seems like the easiest system to manage. @AntonPotgieter, would you have time for a quick chat about costs and process to import the hives? I’m either CBD or Constantia based or can give you a call.
Thanks a mill,
Carryn

1 Like

I see you eventually got your flow hive at a price.

Want have chat with you in process of importing a flow hive.

From

Arthur

Good day all, just to let you know that the Flow Frames work 100% with our SA bees, we just harvested 5,5kg from2 frames. We live in Somerset West.

4 Likes

Hi,

Thanks. My first flow super is still being filled so hopefully will be able to confirm this soon.

I did hear a comment yesterday that because our bees are smaller than overseas, they can get into areas of the frames that other bees can’t, and gum these up with propolis making the mechanisms get stuck – any experience of that?

Do you have Cape or African bees?

Thanks,
Anton

1 Like

Hi Anton

It was a wild swarm we caught, so I can only assume that it is cape. The one area they seem to “escape” is at the top of the frame where the lever goes in. I inserted a flat piece of plastic at the top like the one needed at the bottom and this sorted it. So now when tapping the bees do not climb through the gap at the back and aren’t really phased with us taking the honey at the back of the hive. Just remember to tilt the hive back a bit to make it easier for the honey to flow out when harvesting. also double check how to insert the little pipe with the lip into the frame, if it is the wrong way round you can spill honey into the hive. As for gumming up, I have not experienced any issues.

That’s good news :slight_smile: Do you have any photos or videos?
I noticed you said a wild swarm, so I guess you don’t know if they are Africanised bees or not?
Or what type of bees they are?
We are just trying to get as much info as possible for people enquirying in different regions.

Maybe some photos of the bees would help and someone might be able to identify them?

Hi Faroe, our bees are definately Apis Mellifera Capensis, a.k.a. the cape honey bee. They are as african as they come.
You can have a look at my photos on Instagram, I sent the FlowHive Insta account some details earlier today.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for that :slight_smile:
Sounds like they might be a bit different to the “African” honeybee, Apis mellifera scutellata, but I will pass on the info to our research manager.

I’m currently living in London, but moving back to Cape Town in June. I’ll be bringing one or two Flow hives back with me. My skin is crawling with excitement. Can’t wait to connect with the beekeeping community in South Africa - I have so much to learn!

1 Like

Hi! I’m from Overberg area, Cape. Did u manage to get FlowHive?

Hi,

Yes, it is near Malgas. I will know in about a week how the bees have taken to it.

Anton

1 Like

May I ask what you paid for it Anton? ( including import duties).

Any chance you could bring me one back too? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Marina_Rust_Evans I just ordered my Michael Bush beekeeping books, SO excited! Still saving up for the flow hive/suit/smoker/extra brood box, which adds up to £700+. As soon as I have mine, I shall look to see how much space it takes up and how much it weighs and let you know. We are selling all our furniture, so coming back with only suitcases, so I cannot promise anything. Maybe if you only got the flow super? But anyway, we shall see.

Where are you based? I’m really keen to learn more about apis mellifera capensis and how beekeeping with them differs from “normal” honeybees: in the market for a mentor, so if you could suggest anyone, I’d be so happy!

1 Like

Look at my bedtime reading! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi there,

I am investigation getting a flow hive but have a couple of concerns: specifically relating to issues such as honey crystallising in the comb and also honey that is very thick and sticky (myrtle, flowering gum) ie: how will it ‘flow’.
I am in the overberg.

Gums (terribly invasive in South Africa) are from Australia and as far as I know people in Australia, where the flow super was invented, have not been complaining about the viscosity of their honey. Do correct me if I’m wrong. As for myrtle, I’m not certain. Is that from Europe?

I suppose harvesting honey when it’s nice and warm will ensure the honey has a lower viscosity, which will ease the process. The Overberg is most certainly warm enough.