I’ve found an issue with empty flow frames during a storm. I’m not sure why it happened… it could’ve been wind, buffeting, changing atmospheric pressure, vibration or some other strange happening but be sure to check out your flow frames after each and every storm.
We had TS Colin move through my area about ten days ago and I had just put my flow frames into the super about a week previous to the storm. For some odd reason, the vibrations/pressure/buffeting from the heavy rains, wind and storm conditions caused most of the frames to pop to the open position. In some cases, completely open but most were halfway to two thirds split.
I checked the hives I have but I didn’t take a close look at the flow frames in our flow hive until today. It took about ten seconds to fix it with the hive key. With plenty of bees exploring the frames in the super, I know the girls are looking for more space to work. Meanwhile the hive bodies are exploding. Looks like i’m off to get some lemongrass oil.