Checking the hives after bad Summer foraging and having to feed

So Azure is your queen in waiting?
It is she that will be united with Emerald or Sapphire?
Or have I got it all wrong?

Yes QIW Azure is possible virgin - if she has mated and laying and I see results by Friday, will have a stay of execution - otherwise - I still need to find her before uniting with Sapphire my smaller hive that went from the Poly Hive back into a Nuc - Sapphire is laying but the lack of forage really knocked her for 6 - not her fault.

So she will be being fed until I see vast improvements she is a good Queen although this years emergent 11/5/15 - I moved her into a Hive too soon possibly and the weather has not been kind.

She comes from Good Stock so will not give up on her.

We are talking about a mug full of bees. But I understand that Valli wishes to save them…if she can. Shaking through Queen excluder was suggested. Sometimes you just have to bite on the bullet.

Actually 2 mug fulls now, more have emerged, but don’t want to risk Sapphire

No you mustn’t risk Sapphire. Not for two mugs of bees anyway.

1 Like

Valli, you could certainly save that 2 mugs of bees with a good supply of brood. Just one frame (especially with hatching brood) every 10 days for a month or so & you’ll end up with a really strong hive. From what I saw, you don’t have those frames of brood to spare.

Jeff Brood production on all hives slowed down with the loss of forage over the summer - That is the whole problem.

No forage, they chuck out the drones to save food, they feed the Queens less and the Queens lay less brood - Circle of life interrupted.

Sort of Catch 22

I know what you mean Valli, in my first message & was referring to the hives as they appeared in the video. With your weather being different to ours, I’m guessing you’d probably be best to unite the bees from the third hive to the first hive. So you have 2 reasonably strong hives going into winter. At the start of spring or more importantly, the start of swarm season, think about splitting then. Put your name down with the council for swarm collections or if you have time before the next edition, list yourself as a beekeeper in the equivalent of “Yellow Pages”. This thread has shown me one thing, although I have never had a marked queen, it’s probably best I didn’t because it could be easy to rely on the marks. You need to get practice at finding queens. Sometimes I’ll find a queen by holding the frame at a 30-45deg. angle to my eyes, sometimes she’ll just stand out above the rest. Also the virgin queens seem to move around with more purpose than the workers, with a bit of practice, you’ll get clever at spotting those also. Good luck with everything, I’ll talk to you later, bye

Jeff…the two colonies Valli started with were nucs…which she hived…well probably …as she says…a bit too soon. So they have struggled to make enough bees to make up for the frames she took out to make the walk away split. Plus the bees have worked very hard as they had to make comb…as they were given strips of wax…which wouldn’t have been a problem…if there were lots of bees and a nectar flow. The weather has been very poor and there haven’t really been any good nectar flows…well not in my area since the spring. I think initially the bees did have nectar coming in but this slowed right up. No Food= no bees …so I think Sapphire stopped laying and Emerald slowed right up too. Since Valli has been feeding them the queens are laying again…but it will take time for the colonies to recover from the set back. She can’t take any brood from them as they can’t spare it and the nuc she made is now very small…with ageing bees. If there is a mated queen…she may start to lay…Valli thinks by the 20th. But if she isn’t mated and doesn’t lay…the nuc is doomed. If she can’t find the queen…she can’t combine. If the queen starts laying…it is unlikely that the nuc can recover sufficiently to make a viable winter nuc. The safest option is to shake them out.

1 Like

Thanks for summarising HHH

Hi, I agree, however I think you said you can’t combine the queenless colony with the stronger colony. I have found that I can combine them using the newspaper method quite successfully. You wouldn’t attempt that during bad weather. During good weather is no problem. As you say, the bees are aging, so they might as well finish their lives helping out the weakest of the two stronger hives.

JeffH is right.
It is easy to combine a small colony with a stronger one (in fact it is usually hopeless to combine two weak ones in the hope of creating a stronger colony…it just doesn’t work).
1 sheet of newspaper, no holes queen in the bottom box. It will give the bees some work to do. They might be aging but they have had no brood to feed so they have a few weeks yet.
A lesson learned the very hard way. You just can’t split colonies unless they are strong. The split doesn’t survive and the donor colonies are weakened.
I hope much needed pollen comes in with the Ivy

1 Like

Well we will know when they are on the ivy…cos it stinks! Mine were bringing in Himalayan balsam yesterday…I hope today stays fine again.

1 Like

Feel less stressed now!! Didn’t want to do it but shook all the bees in the walk away split between 2 Queen excluder’s - there was some fanning and huddling but still could see no Queen - Left them to their own devices - rinsed everything down - will wash in Soda crystals when the weather is better. The good Queens - Sapphire and Emerald are bringing in pollen so they are looking up!!

Chalk that up to experience!

If the weather had played ball all would have been well

The main thing is that we learn from such an experience. The bees have suffered a setback but it is possible for them to recover before winter sets in.
Now feed them but keep checking that there is room for the queens to lay. So once they have syrup in the cells of 2 full frames in Emerald and 1 frame in Sapphire plus some arcs of stores…that is the time to ease up on the feeding …so they have time to eat it. When you see the level of stores dropping…feed another couple of pints. So it mimics a flow. No need to spend ages inspecting…a quick look to make sure they are still progressing…once per week. Each inspection will set them back…so only inspect for a good reason. Good luck.

1 Like

I have formed the opinion that every time we disturb the bees, they see us as nothing more than another predator. That’s why even if we disturb them without smoke, we’ll still see bees diving in to eat honey.

Thank you for sharing.

Checked the hives today Way better - they obviously needed food now they are getting back on track

4 Likes

Valli,
If you shake out a colony then you have to take their hive completely away, not just close it up.
Smoke them well…I mean really well, and leave them for ten minutes to give them time to gorge on stores. They will beg their way into another hive using the eaten stores as a bribe. Any queen, of course will be denied entry.

Valli:

Nice hives. They are super clean, mine have a lot of propolis, specially in the excluder. That tells me they don’t have as much food, so it’s probably good that you feed them. I did notice that the first hive is almost empty, Hopefully it picks up.