Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Cleaning the Flow frames

Im interested to know that over time with the buildup of propolis etc on the frames if the plastic has been designed to withstand hot water washing/cleaning. I imagine them to be fairly delicate in construction and in order to melt the wax/propolis etc off they could warp…

Wax Moth - Flow Frame Cleanup?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Check out http://www.honeyflow.com/faqs/p/22?tag=22
There’s lot’s of information on there about cleaning the Flow Frames.
:smile:

Since the flow frame can be disassembled, has anyone considered (especially if concerned about disease) taking them apart into their individual pieces and simply putting them in a net bag and running them through a dish washer on delicate china cycle?

When I got my flow hive one came broken so I contacted flow to send me a replacement. It gave me the opportunity and learning experience to take one apart by removing the stainless steel bands. It was quite simple and easy to take one apart and assemble it again.

Just a thought? Anyone at Flow know how the plastic sheets would handle a wash? This might be a great topic.

It has been discussed at some length already. :blush:

The Flow frames are made of plastic which can be heated to 70C without damage. Whether that is safe in your dishwasher is going to depend on your local hot water temperature, the cycle you select, and also whether you have a hot air drying cycle. Personally, I will not risk $500 of Flow frames in the dishwasher.

I just cleaned mine out and it was easy! I had a wax moth get into mine after the season was over. The flow frames cleaned very very easily. :smiley:

That is good to hear :slight_smile: What techniques did you use to clean your Flow Frames?

I have a deep sink in my garage and I used hot water and rinsed them off. It was no grand gesture on my part because I could not rinse off the propolis but it got the dead moth larvae and gnats out of it beautifully. It was also interesting to feel how much water they held. I guess I’ll see how the bees take to it. :smiley: I hope they do!

Okay, thanks for sharing :slight_smile: I don’t think propolis will be a problem, as it is antibacterial, etc.