Cleaning the Flow frames

Typos (It was sold )

An old mate called me up the other day and asked if I knew where to get 100% or food grade sodium hydroxide from to pickle olives in, or, whether the 98% solution from hardware stores would be ok to use. Apparently because I keep bees, grow my own veggies and make mead Iā€™m some sort of alchemist. Now Iā€™ve only heard of a brine solution to pickle olives in so was curious what this sodium hydroxide wasā€¦Google. Flaminā€™ caustic soda! ā€œAre you mad!?!ā€ I cried ā€œMate, that stuffā€™ll kill ya!!!ā€ and he replied ā€œ Well, I hope not but weā€™ll find out soon enough ā€˜coz Iā€™ve just eaten oneā€¦ā€
So now Iā€™ve done some googling, Iā€™ve found that not only is it good for cleaning drains and stripping paint but itā€™s also good for pickling olives and cleaning propolis. Go figure.:grinning:

4 Likes

Adding ā€˜alchemistā€™ to my resume :relieved:

1 Like

Sorry, I should have rushed out to a hardware store and studied the label before bothering you with pesky questions. Sheesh

Looks like we are both comedians. Lol

Iā€™ve been following this thread, because I have three hives to clean out and its been very helpful. So, Drano can be used to clean to soak the frames in because its caustic soda, correct? Also, if you take a few frames out at a time to soak overnight, do you replace that gap in the hive with anything or just leave it as is until the cleaned frame is returned?

It would seem to be something you do after the season or when you have plenty of time to soak and rinse and dry before putting back in service.

You can buy granular lye at the hardware store and dissolve it in water - 2T in a gallon is probably reasonable amount given the suggestions. Wear gloves.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll stick with the pressure cleaner

2 Likes

Cleaned with a steam cleaner, no chemicals just have to reassemble and wait for spring ( 6 hrs per frame but going to try adams advice and clean whilst assembled :crossed_fingers:)

6 Likes

I hate to say itā€¦ but if you charged out your time at $40/hr thatā€™s $240/frame plus power and water.
Well done though mate for your perseverance!
You sound a lot like me, canā€™t bring myself to throw away anything thatā€™s ā€œstill goodā€ no matter the economics.

5 Likes

You sound like me Tim, I spent 1/2 a day repairing a single bee box that would only cost $29 to replace.

5 Likes

The planet needs more people like all of you! @TimG @JeffH @Jeffm @FrankFitzgerald41 @Outbeck

:blush:

Well, and the rest of us beekeepers too. But refusing to discard something totally useable is something that I truly identify withā€¦

6 Likes

Dawn,
Thankyou.
Tim G,
I am retired, my labour is 100% free BUT my enjoyment comes at at cost.
Therefore I saved $110 by not purchasing a new frame saved $120 by not going to pub ( $20 per hour) and I would pay for the pleasure of doing something well( I am not very handy) , say $50.
I can amortise the cost of cleaner-at $5 ( $120 total) and charge for electricity and water $0.50
On the day I made 110+120+50-5-0.5=$274.50 in front!
If I do the other 5 I will be $274.5 x6 = $1674 in front.
Plus I saved the planet a tiny bit
PS donā€™t tell flow otherwise they will bump the price of flow mk3 :joy::joy:

8 Likes

Love the ā€œglass half fullā€ attitude @Jeffm ! Judging by your mathematics you will be in the market for another new hive with all that cash you just made.
:grin:

4 Likes

I would be far more concerned about destroying a flow frame with a pressure washer than a dish washer. Tupperware and Chinese takeout containers survive the dishwasher. You can cut a hole through Sheetrock with a pressure washer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m more concerned about having wax and propolis through the dishwasher and having to explain that to my family.

Like all tools it is the user that determines the success or failure of its use. My domestic pressure cleaner works fine as you can see.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™ll have to take your word for it. Out of curiosity, what psi settings do you use?

It is a Karcher K2 - Max Pressure 1750PSI. I used the dirt blaster attachment

1 Like

I think it was @skeggley that can comment on using a dishwasherā€¦
@Dawn_SD could probably comment if my memory is wrong and @skeggley doesnā€™t know what Iā€™m talking aboutā€¦

1 Like

I think it was @busso originally

2 Likes