Colorado Flow Hive Owners

Certainly it is a sign of a strong hive and more drones are around during swarm season (for the benefit of passing hive genes to other local virgin queens) but wouldn’t you say that presence of drones is more of an indirect sign that you should be looking for other (more direct) swarm indicators like cups/swarm cells/queen cells?

Yes true, but once there are swarm cells it can be too late for pre-emptive measures. A healthy hive with a booming population during a good flow can be thinned by splitting and still be able to keep bringing in nectar.

1 Like

Not always true if you believe the famous Wally Shaw. But then you did say “can be”, not “always is”… :blush:

For those who don’t know about Wally Shaw, here is one of his works of genius relating to splits and swarm control:

https://wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/An-Apiary-Guide-to-Swarm-Control-2nd-edition-updatedJan21.pdf

2 Likes

You’re welcome Kent. I would cut the comb out of the frames, then process the comb to retrieve the wax before wiring up the frames before fitting some fresh foundation. Otherwise if you put it back in after freezing it, you still have drone comb after the bees discard the dead brood. Unless you want to use the drone comb as an ipm strategy.

1 Like

‘Can be’ if you are a newbee, and/or miss a swarm cell or two :wink:

1 Like

There is a separation board with a small hole drilled in it that goes on top of the super or your top brood box if no super is attached.
Is it important to not have it sealed off for air flow or can you seal it off so the bees do not go into the under side of the roof?

I believe you’re asking about the hole on the inner cover with the plug? I leave the plug in to keep the bees out of the roof area and remove the plug to place a rapid round feeder when I’m providing sugar syrup.

It is hot outside and the bees are swarming.
I thought they might need air flow

Just signed up on the Colorado Flow Hive. I have a Flow Hive 2. Got my Nuc back in April. Added a second brood box in May and now watching them build out. Question, when should I put a Mite Strip into the boxes? I’ve not noticed anything in the tray but wanted to get ahead of it. Thanks Bob

Do not put in more strip until you detect mites.
Bill

Thanks, I will wait for now.

Hello from dacono! I am new and just got the 2+. I am getting an 8 frame colony tomorrow and will put them into the brood box. I plan on them living in that until spring. Do you think I’ll have to feed them until spring or can I add an empty medium super for them to store up for this winter? Thanks!

Hi all! My bees are thriving! I added a second deep brood box 3 weekends ago, as my first one filled up. I just did another inspection and found the second one 80% full!
Do I just put on the queen excluder and add the flow frames to the top!?

Full of comb or nectar/pollen/brood? Covered with bees?

If it’s just comb, then I would wait for them to fill it up before adding another box. Lean times are coming and they need to stock up before fall arrives.

Check with your local beekeepers about the nectar flows this time of year and in the fall.

If the bees need more space then yes, slap on the excluder and put the flow super with the frames (check the wire tension and make sure they’re reset) and let them work it. There is quite a bit of waxing they need to do before storing nectar so it is slow going the first time they start on the flow frames. You can search this forum for ways to encourage the bees to use the flow frames but really, the greatest encouragement comes from crowding.

1 Like

I put my super on the two broods June 25. Sprayed some sugar water to attract them to the super on the sides of the foundations. A few bees went up to the super, then a week later a sprayed it again followed by another spray a week after that. You should see how many bees are in my super now. It is full of bees and they are filling the cells with honey.
It is working awesome !!!’
Bill

2 Likes

Great thanks!
Full of mostly brood, I would say 75%! I plan to not harvest any honey until next year so they have a successful winter.

Yes it is best to let them have honey for the winter.
Bill

If you’re not hopeful for any honey this year then I’d leave the super off and just let them backfill with honey and pollen. It will likely reduce any necessary feeding that way.

2 Likes

I harvested some honey from one of my frames today. How long can you store honey in a mason jar. Is there a way to seal the jars to keep the honey fresh?
Bill

1 Like

Ripe honey doesn’t need canning like fruits etc. If it is fully capped when harvested and/or below 18.6% water, it keeps indefinitely. Honey from the pyramids in Egypt was still good enough to eat thousands of years later. :wink:

If it wasn’t fully capped, or has a higher water content, you can keep it in the freezer. It doesn’t actually freeze, it just gets very thick - like a stiff toffee/caramel consistency. It will keep in the freezer for years too, if you can wait that long… :blush: