Cost of Flow Hives

@BeeHiveYourself Because they crowd funded with an American company and it was easier to use US$

1 Like

Agreed, for the crowdfunding, but why on their Flow shop?

Continuity. also many buyers are in the US and it is a fairly universal currency

2 Likes

Plus the US$ is worth a bit more than the AU$ currently. So when they convert their profits to Australian dollars they will have more than had they sold it in Australian dollars if they used the same amounts.

1 Like

Well, if the older other patent is a better quality product and available, someone will go ahead and produce it. It’s a free market. Same with pricing. Prices are what the market will bear. When last did someone ask, for example, Michael Dell why a PC was a particular price and why it was based on other PCs? You buy it, or you don’t.

As for the Flow being for the rich, it would have cost me far more to buy all the other paraphernalia to extract honey (had I been using Langs), than Flow does. Plus, I would have had to store all that junk somewhere. For some reason I did not feel warm and fuzzy about uncapping knives, filters, buckets, and clunky ugly extractors. And, the mess. But, that’s just me. Hence the Top Bar Hives. I would never have bothered with Langs had the Flow not come along.

Good on ya, mate.

8 Likes

Have you ever extracted honey by the traditional method? The flow hive is going to revolutionize this process. If you can’t see the benefit simply use the labour and equipment intensive method. Don’t gripe about the cost. Margie

3 Likes

Hi all,

Been a new bee and from England please forgive me but are you intending to sell your hives here in England as boy I would be very tempted to start using this new method of bee keeping and honey extraction as I have 45 hives on a farm (1500 acres organic) and this would save so much time and effort, as I have to visit all plus all the effort in extracting honey😤

Looking forward to your replies from all.

At the moment we are only selling from our website, eventually there may end up being distributors in different countries. As Dexter said we are working on offering commercial pricing for larger orders, currently you will need to contact us directly from our website contact page to inquire about commercial scale orders.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

It is not always an issue of time - small beeks are not always able to afford to buy the amount of equipment needed to extract. It may not always in peak flow season, be convenient to borrow equipment from BKA’s/groups.

Sometimes we just want to be in control of our own bee keeping; crush and strain, unless for very small amounts of honey 1 perhaps 2 frames can get very messy and wasteful of the honey.

For me having the Flow frames will assist in making my bee keeping more self contained, give me an opportunity to take things at my own pace, not have to rely on others to borrow or wait for equipment and allows my bee keeping to be much more personal, allows for more flexibility, less disruptive to the bees, and for me it is a win:win situation, less cleaning, less use of chemical cleaners, less water wasted - anything this ecological, for such a reasonable initial outlay gives me peace of mind.

The petrol miles in ferrying equipment back and forth, the water required to properly sanitize equipment after a small back yard operation, I can be doing something else with my time while the honey Flows into my storage containers.

From a small back yard operation it will allows me down the line, more time to consider if I want to expand and become more commercial.

There are so many Plus points to having Flow Frames - It has made bee keeping to become more accessible and way less expensive in time, and resources in the longer term

10 Likes

Thanks @Valli I think you have summed it up very well. We all need to make our own decision as to whether it works for us or not. There are so many options to choose from and while we are promoting the Flow here, everyone is welcome choose the system that best fits their needs and budget.

A lot of companies do that because the US Dollar is more stable, and considered the international standard for business transactions.

Hiii guys :slight_smile:
I’m Michang, an Agribusiness student (undergraduate) from Indonesia, I’m very interesting with this topic.

I’m petty sure that peoples, especially from “Newly Industrialized Countries” such as me, will find that the prices of Flow is “quite expensive”. For example, here in Indonesia the labor cost per month is ≈ 2 million Rupiah/labor or ≈ $149.39/labor ($1=13387.50 Rupiah), it means I have to work more than 3 month, to buy a Flow.
But in my opinion, there is a price for an “invention” that will boost inventors such as Stu and Cedar’s to produces many new invention that will help us. I believed, Stu and Cedar’s are wise enough to set the price of these product, and this promise “this where we need your help to crowdfunding, to make Flow Hive affordable and available to everyone” . :blush:

Thanks @DextersShed for your opinions, it’s improved my knowledge about flow which is very important for my further research.

I agree with that, flow hive help some aspect in beekeeping (extraction) not all.

What I want to say when quoting sentence from flow hive video, the inventors of flow hive already give us “affordable” product, why? because flow already passed many prototype and design, and what we see now, I believe the most efficient and the most affordable version too.

Just like what the flow hive video said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMV9qYIXqM

I knew this invention when my lecturer played the flow hive video in class (we were learn about agriculture technology at that time) after that, we began to discuss about the possibility of beekeeping and flow hive, including the price (in fact, price is quite sensitive problem in Indonesia), many of my friend are not interesting about this topic, if u ask why? they will answers: price, environment, government laws, bee sting, etc (most of them said price or money). I found this is very interesting invention although the price is quite expensive for us. For me if the price are “expensive”, then u have to do something, instead only said this expensive, can’t buy, etc. Go to work, collect funds, and when funds are available buy it (in case if u don’t have funds right now). For where your heart is, there will your treasure be also.

Sorry for the long post :slight_smile:

1 Like

I moved 5 posts to an existing topic: First hand view of Wax Moth and Damage

well mate I live in Australia and will have to purchase in US dollars so the cost of 6 flow frames is going to cost me about $650 so I think you are doing pretty well. Maybe I should emigrate to the US. It not fair that I have to purchase in US dollars

Hi Rob, it is all actually just electronic transactions, no real ‘exchange’. If it was for sale in Aussie Dollars the cost would be 886.00. If you bought it from England it would cost 424 GBP. In Euros it’s 572. In US dollars it’s 650. It doesn’t matter which one you use. It gets adjusted to whatever currency you have.

1 Like