Crush and strain question

This is comical. If you saw where your bees prefer to gather water; a leaking septic field, equine/livestock urine puddles, the most stagnant of stagnant water collection areas, a little bee poo would be the least of your worries lol.

3 Likes

Yip ! Right on Red ! Seen them there too ! Thatā€™s why I am providing a circulating water fall n pond with pond n marsh plants growing in it.

it isnā€™t pure clear but beat septic or road side ditch slime. As warm Wx comes the pond plants n floaters will show up n grow. I have a few cheap feeder goldfish that keep the skitters down n controlled as well. Donā€™t need that virus to spread to my bees water source !

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a little pond in my yard too, and there are a few things you can do to keep the algae and mosquitoes down. For algae, are you treating w/ barley powder? that really helps. Snails (ramshorn or similar) will also do lots of damage to algae, but you need to overwinter snails in a tank unless youā€™re in a warm climate. The feeder goldfish will probably be fine in the winter. Mine are going on 3 or 4 years old now (almost big enough to call them koi now) and winters in DC can be pretty cold. Also, mosquito dunks are great for killing mosquito larvae but not bees.

1 Like

Hi Zepto, our fish winter over well even with water surface frozen. Slime n skeater seems to be kept in check by my goldfish that munch on them. The pond n waterfall stay aerated by the fall n center pool fountainā€¦ Great source for bee water as you agree.

After our fall leaf drop I cleaned out any extra leaves n debris so the pool is in pretty good shape for the Spring n summer season.

Happy buzzing bro,
Gerald.

1 Like

I have a little crush & strain story. We removed an established beehive out of a wall cavity several years ago. Any comb that did not contain actual brood or really unripe honey got crushed & strained. There was a fair bit of pollen mixed with the honey & a vast amount of the comb had been previously used for brood. My wife wouldnā€™t let me sell the honey, she enjoyed the flavor so much. Who was I to argue?, however I tended to agree with her.

NOW that I have this knowledge about bee larvae pooping under the cocoon, would I change anything? probably not:)

3 Likes

Maybe there was more pollen than poo :wink:

1 Like

:relaxed: Wilma: Bees collect Pollen and nectar they do not hang around refuse or dirty areas Honey full of lovely pollen is very good for you and tastes wonderful. Neither Jeff or I would touch anything a fly had landed on. We often have people come and ask us for unstrained honey, because they want the added goodness

Iā€™m with you Wilma, my head was starting to hurt reading through this. I would like to think my girls are good girls and I am sticking with that.

Goodness me Bee Poo !!! Send me some nice reassuring words @Dawn_SD before my head starts hurting again.

Yes, my most popular cut comb has cells of pollen in it. Tastes of sherbert :smile:

1 Like

Just like the Queen of the UK, I bet that your bees donā€™t poo! :smile:

1 Like

Hi Dee, yes I agree, do you get lollies called ā€œfruit tinglesā€ over there? Our native bee honey mixed with pollen tastes much like fruit tingles & I guess fruit tingles are similar to sherbet.

The native bee honey is very sweet, however citrusy at the same time. So with that citrus flavor mixed with their pollen gives a pleasant result.

1 Like

totally agree with you Jasbee, and hey when you crush and strain just run a falk down the frames it works really well, but you may already know that: Wilma

busso, bees are very clean little things. They as you would know from watching them are very good housekeepers. People eat bee brood and while it took awhile to get my head around it. I have with Jeffs encouragement, and it tasted really nice. We had it cooked. Some people eat prawns (Shrimp ) with the vein in. I could not do that, occasionally when I have had a bit itā€™s yuk and gritty and not nice. Bees are all things nice and clean and do not eat rubbish, so what they digest is not rubbish. Your head should not hurt about bees, and what they produce. Wilma:

1 Like

Wilma, I am full of admiration! You are a braver woman than I am. I know lots of cultures relish insects in their diet, but it is one thing that I wouldnā€™t choose to eat unless desperate.

So out of curiosity, was it sweet? I have heard that it is, and that is one reason why raccoons like to tear our hives apart to get to the brood. :disappointed_relieved:

thanks Wilma - makes perfect sense to use a fork will try to have one handy next time. BTW you do a great job with the filming!

1 Like

Hey well spotted. I knew I could rely on you.

Hi Dawn, just in case you ever decide you want to give bee larvae a go, hereā€™s one of our videos on the subject.

We have other videos of cooking with them, actually the fritters are at the end of this video, using all my home grown veges as well.

Now that Iā€™m selling bee colonies, Iā€™m not destroying brood like this any more.

I will wait until I come to visit you in Oz before I try that kind of bee productā€¦ :smile:

Youā€™ll be more than welcome Dawn. When we made that video was about the last time we used it. I think the idea is a valid idea for anyone who likes to be a bit self sufficient. For people with a few chooks, a vege patch & a couple of beehives.

Shudder!!!
What is it with eating things like that?
Why are we so disgusted?
I ate a Mopane worm when I was in Safari in Zimbabweā€¦but it was cooked and it still made me retch. I could never do ā€œIā€™m a Celebrity get me out of hereā€