Crush and strain question

I’m almost:) the same as you Dee. I eat fish eyes from a fish head curry or Tom Yum soup. Plus I eat bee larvae/pupae but it has to be disguised. But that’s as far as I go. It’s hard to disguise an eye out of a large snapper or red emperor head though. However, around the head, wings & stomach flaps is where most of the good omega 3 oil is. Plus the collagen from around the bones. I’ll put a link to one of my fish head videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqiQ7znbvsY Cheers.

Just watched your video, Jeff and Wilma. Unfortunately I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so shallots, garlic and wheat flour are off the menu… Otherwise I would try them for sure… Honestly!! :astonished:

Hi Dawn & thank you:) Sorry to hear about your IBS. Wheat flour:(, my baguettes would be off limits:(.
In one of our videos we blended the hachinoko in soup which gave the soup a nice sweetness & flavor. Something to consider with any excess drone comb.

Errr…I think I’ll leave mine for the hens, I get to eat the grubs recycled that way :wink:

Interesting that you say that. I saw a youtube video about purifying wax in boiling water, and the lady performing the process tried to feed the “slumgum” to her hens. They were NOT interested!

However, fresh larvae rather than cocoons and larval bee poo may taste different! :smiling_imp:

Sounds good Dee, they also eat shb grubs, @Dawn_SD that slumgum is fantastic in the garden, the earthworms really love it. Unfortunately the shb also love to breed up in it. Something to watch out for if they’re in your area. I just bury it nice & deep. You’d be forgiven for thinking that we have videos for everything. However here’s one of my huge burial videos. Slumgum included:)

Not everyone’s cup-a-tea. However people ask me how I get my soil looking so rich with so many earthworms.

1 Like

Hi Dawn, I used to do mine in the kitchen also, similar but different method. The fumes really played havoc on both of us, especially me. My sinuses got that badly infected I have to take antibiotics to clear it up. I do it out the back room now but I have to be extremely careful, using a mask & tea towel just to enter the room. I’m taking antihistamines twice a day to try & keep on top of it.

1 Like

I have a Rayburn range on in the winter and the “cool” oven is just right for brood comb rendering. Not that you get much. I keep meaning to make a solar extractor but other stuff is always getting in the way. Well new flow hive is collected. Having watched videos on it the frames will be altered to fit a National and I’ll sell the brood box on Preloved.

1 Like

Wow, good thought! I get a really bad nasal allergic reaction to some pollens, so I should be careful. For me it is worst with grass and some tree pollens. Maybe a hotplate in the back garden would be safer for me. My husband never really wanted me to extract wax anyway - too messy and labour-intensive. He would probably tolerate me playing with it outside though. :smile:

1 Like

I always wanted to do that too, but again, my husband disapproved! I have seen them on the bee supply web sites, both kits and plans, but it seems that none of them have particularly good reviews.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Cypress-Solar-Wax-Melter/productinfo/825/
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Solar-Wax-MeltPlans/productinfo/725/
and a really pricey one at:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/HH-185.html
:scream:

Almost missed it! Of course www.beethinking.com has one too:
http://www.beethinking.com/products/solar-wax-melter?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=808528945&gclid=CJquocnh7coCFQoNaQodNkYG9g

2 Likes

Hi Dawn, the only trouble I find with rendering wax is: the fumes attracts bees, so it could be a bit of a problem doing it outside. The solar wax melter would probably be a good idea. I wonder why spell check doesn’t like the way I spelt “melter”.

I have a hive to remove out of someones ceiling this morning. It’s always a messy job. I don’t think this job will be any different.

I have a friend who is a bee-friendly general contractor. He always has trouble when he tells people the cost of such hive removals - clearing up the mess is the most expensive part of it! :blush:

You certainly have a very bossie husband :wink:

What’s your recipe for these fritters ? Interesting …

Hi Gerald, thanks mate, here’s my video of the fritters, cheers.

1 Like

Thankz Bro. Never tried those. Not sure the wife would let me but might try later as my bees mature. I don’t get Nuc’s until mid April. I am antsie waiting/impatient. It will be good getting back into rearing honeybees again.

Interesting Video. I need to watch it again n take couple notes.

Cheers.
Gerald.

1 Like

You two are the pits!!!
Yuk

2 Likes

You don’t mean that Dee:) I know you want to give it a go.

Dee, he has three extras ready n hot on the stove :smiley:! My adopted grandaughter is Vietnamese. I’ve ate stranger foods. :wink::+1:
Nhung toi hieu do Dee ! ( but I understand that Dee)… Gerald

P.S. My grandma Jane (from England) use to eat blood pudding n brains. Yuck ! :grinning:

My husband loves blood pudding. I don’t, it is too salty for me. I have tried lamb’s brains sauteed in butter - not really my thing, but not disgusting. I have also eaten veal pancreas (sweetbreads) - tender and mild in flavour. The things that I really don’t like are strong tasting or bitter meats, in particular offal. Liver, kidney, heart and tripe (too chewy) are all things I don’t care for. I don’t like chicken feet or pigs trotters either - not much taste and the texture is not appealing to me. However, peace to anyone who does like them - thank goodness for variety in human taste! :smile: