Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Dartington Beehive Plans

Hello;
I am trying to get back into beekeeping as a hobby, but suffer from a bad back and one bad shoulder.
I have been reading about the dartington beehive and believe it to be the answer to many of my health
restrictions in beekeeping. I have been trying to find a place to purchase plans, but have had
absolutely no luck. Any information on where to purchase these plans would be most appreciated.
I live in the United States and when I ask people about the dartington beehive, I get nothing but blank
looks…I am really getting frustrated.
Thank you
Pamlar

Published by

Bee Books new and old
Ash View
Tump Lane
Much Bird
Herefordshire
HR2 8HP
UK

ISBN 978-0-905652-68-9

You might find it easier to just make a long Langstroth though as it uses 14x12 frames

Good advice from Dee…in the USA Langstroths are the hive everyone uses. There are plans for a langstroth long hive on the Internet…just google it. For the supers you just make half size ones to take 5 frames. Let us know how you get on.

You could always buy One Lang Brood box for sizing. extend the side lengths to the length of the Dartington make a box and put Lang Supers over - sort of Hybrid Dartington style but Lang specs.

That way you can use the Lang frames if you want but less lifting as in the Dartington

These might help?

I am designing a vertical langstroth hive to use flow frames- my design is basically two 10 frame deep boxes long- so I plan to have around 12 deep frames and 6 flow frames. I am designing it so I can add two shallow supers on top if I want to expand production when the flow hits… I plan to do comb honey in the shallows- and Flow honey below. Having a slow time learning sketch up but this is what I have so far: