Feeder advice request

New to bees and trying to decide on a feeder. I’ve already ruled out an entry feeder. What fo you all recommend?

Hi Bruce,

I’ve always preferred top feeders. These are the kind I use. Holds plenty so you’re not having to open up the hive too often.

or

Personally, I think the buckets with the screen tutuapp are probably the best.
Pros: cheap, won’t drown bees, holds a lot of syrup, usable inside or outside the hive (though outside needs a hole in the cover, which requires a slightly different setup).
Cons: you have to take the bucket off to fill it, unlike some of those pan-style feeders. It requires a full deep if you want to use it inside the hive, where some of the others can use mediums or act as their own box.

To your specific feeder; personally, I wouldn’t buy it for myself, it’s expensive for what is basically a wooden box that holds syrup and I’ve never been a fan of the “floating slat” style of feeders.

Or if you want something which works well and is cheap, though requires refilling more often, just get/make a Boardman cap and place the jar over the inner cover hole inside the hive. Works really well for a buck, but you need to refill it pretty often.

Hi Bruce. I just went through figuring out a good feeder that wouldn’t drown my bees. I saw this type highly recommended by Frederick Dunn and a few other experienced beekeepers. I got 2 of them on Amazon and they’ve worked out very well. Hope it’s okay to post links in this forum. If not, please let me know and I’ll delete it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVVT44HR

If it helps with a beekeeping problem, it is fine. Don’t worry! :wink:

1 Like