Feeding in a flow hive

Hi all! I am very new to beekeeping. I was wondering how I would feed a new colony in my flow hive? I just rescued a swarm and it’s late July so I know they will need a little extra food. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum! :blush:

First make sure that the Flow super is not on the hive. You can feed them with a baggie, pail or rapid feeder. I never use entrance feeders, as they are too likely to encourage robbing, especially at this time of year. If you are not sure what those feeding methods are, you can use the magnifying tool at the top of this page to search the forum for hundreds of posts on feeding hives. :wink:

3 Likes

As you will be going into winter soonish I would be feeding them as much syrup as they will take so they can build up numbers and stores. NEVER open feed and avoid entrance feeders (they both encourage robbing and spread diseases). Use a closed system (within the hive, there are plenty of threads on here about feeding if you search). I am not too sure on whether you use 1:1 or 2:1 this time of year in your area (@Dawn_SD may be a better source of info on that).

Above all else, make sure your honey super is off the hive while feeding, now is the time to get them going which is what you should be concentrating on.

Rob

3 Likes