First month for new hive

I see no reason for feeding them at this time of year if it is a strong colony. Feeding a nuc is to help them produce wax as well as for food while the numbers build up. If they have some honey stores I would stop feeding them and do another check for stores in 2 weeks time.
I am going to the Tweed area on the 23rd Feb for hive checks and could have a look in on you at that time if you like. PM me, my fees are reasonable, black coffee,2 sugar and a Tim Tam…:grin:

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m away in NZ on the 23rd (I get back later that day) :frowning_face:
I think for one side of a frame, they had not completely filled out the combs. They had started them all, but not to the full depth.
A couple of weeks ago I put the flow frames on top and waited for two weeks. Nothing was added to the frames, so I went back to feeding them.

If the colony is strong in numbers I would stop feeding them, there should be a good flow of nectar. Check in about 3 weeks as to the stores situation improving.
At the moment my hives up here are working the flow and storing honey in the supers. A bit of rain this past week and a cooler change will increase the amount of nectar.
Cheers

Hi Eddy, the same has happened at my hives, the wattle birds feed on bees occasionally. Interesting to watch but nothing we can do about it, or even need to do about it, it’s just part of the natural cycle of life.

I’ve also had a golden orb spider build its web right next to a hive, it had a regular supply of bees! Golden orbs have only a short lifespan though so it was there for only one season.

Hi Peter,

I just set up a new post. I checked the hive today and there wasn’t a single bit of honey in the flow hive, and when I checked further in the lower super, the honey that was there is no longer.
The colony is still strong. I have also seen bees coming in daily with pollen sacks on thier legs.

Should I start feeding them suger 2:1? I’m worried they wont have anything for winter.

Thanks

Hi Steve, I also noticed that the bees bring in ample pollen of various colour, yet, the colonies struggle to keep their weight at the moment.
On inspection, my 8 frame single brood boxes have wall to wall brood.
Not sure if the bees expect a nectar flow.
There is plenty of nectar on the coast, but not much up in the coastal mountains. Not expecting much now till spring, but you never know with those eucalyptus.
Thought I share that observation with you.