Flow frames full and capped edges but not in the center

When looking through the window all 6 of my flow frames are full. When I remove them however, I see that they are full and capped in the front and back, (all around) but in the center there isn’t even wax on the center frame cells yet. It’s like the frame is 70% full and capped but literally untouched in the center portion of the frame. If I were to harvest this frame wouldn’t the honey just spill out the side of the frame?
( I should mention I have never harvested before.) I installed my package a year ago this week. I have 2 full brood boxes, and the super has been on since March 1st. The super was on for 3 weeks with zero progress until I painted a few frames with melted wax/burr-comb and honey. Then they got after it. So almost 2 months with the super on and this is my progress. Do I just need to wait?

Sometimes the bees leave an empty arc in the middle - I guess it is in case they need brood space. I think some people rotate the frames or add more space underneath since you have two brood boxes - are they both in use or maybe would reversing them help?

It should be ok to harvest - the cells are slanted down. I would recommend harvesting is small segments, especially those middle parts. You could do the first 1/4, then just a couple inches at a time for a couple sections and then the last quarter, for example.

Let us know how it goes!

1 Like