Flow Hive Viewing Window- Is it Interchangable?

So long as you could easily access the rear of the hive to harvest you are correct. The entrance is created from the bottom board. All you are talking about is a simple change of orientation. Assemble your box as normal, face the window to whichever side you prefer it to be on, then install your entrance from the bottom board in the opposite the harvesting window.

The only way you are going to run into trouble is if you want to retain the orientation of the original harvesting window and also change the side of the observation window since this would require changing the actual order of how the pieces are put together rather then just a simple orientation issue.

Hope that makes sense.

I have basic wood work skills as well, Thank you @beethinking - I’d forgotten about the pre-drilled holes.

Can I just ask @Adam why do you need the window on the other side - is it because of the direction you want to orient the Hive? You could always just assemble the box and place the entrance to the “rear” of where you wanted it and the window could be where yo want it - Ie minimal change to the Flow just a visual rethink to the hive orientation. So long as the bees have reasonable access to the hive the front entrance orientation is not set in stone instead of “thinking out side the box” Think inside the box what will the bees cope with?

The orientation if you need the window to face a specific way is not of dire importance so long as the bees have a reasonable access.

I have even thought of facing my entrance the opposite way to stop the bees using my entire back yard as flight path which sort of narks hubby that they do, but selfishly I want to see them coming and going also the may not poop on his precious car so much if I change the orientation 90°. I could still see them coming in and out or even 70°.

It is a matter of priorities.

See how you get on

That’s the answer, surely.
Doesn’t the brood box and flow super sit on a separate floor?
Just rotate them through 180˚

Here are the exact instruction from Flow on how to modify your Langstroth boxes - http://www.honeyflow.com/about-flow/flow-hive-assembly-modifications/p/142
http://www.honeyflow.com/media/docs/Flow_Modify_Lang_Box_Manual_v2.pdf

This gives you pictures and measurements of what you need to cut and where - to modify a Langstorth box for 3, 4, 6 or 7 Flow Frames :smile:

1 Like

Thank you Faroe…

1 Like

No wuckas :wink: :v: :bee:

I just watch the video. Seems like I should be able to modify a couple boxes in less than an hour. Thanks Faroe.

1 Like

You’re welcome tony
:slight_smile:

Hi Valli, thanks for all your help! Yeh purely wanted to change the side the window is on as the default side the window is on will be close to a fence. So I really wanted to be able to easily access the window so I can see my little bees at work :slight_smile:

@Adam G’day Adam, will turning the direction of the entrance help?

Good idea, it wont work though as the layout I have will point them into the house. (Small backyard) Would you mind if I PM a picture to you to see if you think the spot is suitable? Would really value your Opinion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

sure no worries Adam

Thank you! I’m at work at moment but will take picture as soon as I get home. Thanks Again!

No worries when I get it I will look at it and see where we can help

@Valli, @Adam, Finding this discussion on modifying the window placement has been very helpful. I’m in the same boat as Adam, b/c there’s really only one good placement for my hive. Without modifications the window will be facing a barrier that backs up to my angled roof, making it essentially unuseable.

Of course, I didn’t work out the problem until I had my hive assembled. Looks like I’ll be taking it apart this weekend. :scream_cat:

1 Like

Yes it is a little bit tricky. Just be careful as it does leave a bit of a gap on one of the sides as well. If you have any questions though don’t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

My modification to switch the window around came out pretty well. I took a bit of cedar shim and cut it down to size to fill the gaps where the bar screwed in originally. Those are bracketed in place till the wood glue dries.

One question though…there is a bit of a gap between the top of the back wall and the tool-access-panel cover. 1mm to 1.5mm in places. Is that significant enough to need filling?

tia.

Any chance of a photo? My inclination is to say that it won’t matter, the bees will propolis the gap if they don’t like it. However, that may make it hard for you to remove panels for extraction, depending on exactly where the gap is. Hence my request for a photo :slightly_smiling:

The box is upside down at the moment, so you’ll have to forgive the perspective.

1 Like

I had to do that modification by accident because I didn’t read the instructions properly… :joy:

I had it all nailed and glued together when I saw the bar and rebate… doh!!!

stupid brain… :cry:

but anyways… the wood being pretty soft, I was able to just file out a rebate, put in the metal bar and BAM… all finished… (but with the window on the other side)

this has come in handy as its on the opposite side to the afternoon sun which is where they are currently filling it with honey… so we can see all the bees hard at work…

hopefully by next weekend they’ll have started capping on that frame…

over the past day or two they have found new sources of nectar and pollen… I can see the Gum Trees across the river starting their Summer/Autumn flowering and that’s exactly where a lot of them are heading… instead of the westerly direction that they had been going…