Health concerns about eating honey grown in plastic hives?

The same way I’m concern about drinking water from a plastic bottle left on my car on summer, I am wondering about BPA and other plastic toxicity getting into the honey.

Check this thread and see if that addresses your questions.
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/the-plastic-used-for-the-frames/1606

Hi Adagna, I checked that thread and left a comment too, I just want to know if they have done any chemical analysis on the honey coming from the hives, since food is safe in plastic if it is not exposed to high temperatures and away from sun, something that is not the case here. For personal use it might not matter but for selling it will be a little tough telling customers it grew on plastic.

What are you considering high heat? The inside of a hive sits comfortably at near body temperature regardless of the temp outside except in cases of extreme heat or cold. Also the inside of a hive is only exposed to sunlight when the top is off for an inspection, perhaps 20-30 mins at a time and even then for the most part only the top rail is exposed for any duration there. Many beekeepers have adopted plastic foundation already, so it’s already wide spread in the hobby/industry.

I am personally far more concerned about pesticide contaminated wax foundation then I am about any kind of issues with the flow hive frames.

3 Likes

I too would like to see an independent scientific study on Flow™ and plastics. We are currently looking at having Flow™ tested and researched by a few different universities, I think mainly with the purpose of general hive productivity. I will inquire about testing the honey too, if they have the means. I would guess that there has been studies on similar things already done, as plastics have been used for so long in beehives.

1 Like

I’m with you on concerns about pesticides, I believe that this is one of the main reasons why we want to grow our own food.

My comment about the high heat is in general, because we will like to use this hives regardless of the place or to know if there are some restrictions/recommendations or even better, if there is not problem at all. Chemical testing of honey collected from flow hives could be really helpful and supportive of the idea.

Thanks for answering Jake, the thing is that your product is such an innovation that can change the way things are done. I know there can be improvements in the future, but the starting idea is so different that we the customers need to analyse it from every angle, for making sure we feel safe. Probably detractors and traditional beekeepers are already analyzing it, not doubt, but it could be great to have one coming from Flow Hive.

A lot of our food comes in bpa free, food grade plastic. I sell my honey on a byo c’tainer basis. Some customers want their honey in nothing but plastic. Some will have it in nothing but glass, most are happy either way. However it is always poured from a plastic bucket. It is my belief that when the flow cells are aligned, the bees repair the gaps with wax & I’m fairly confident that they put a thin film of wax over the plastic in the process, before filling the cells with honey. That’s my guess.

2 Likes

Brood nest temperature is of extreme importance to the colony and is
controlled with utmost precision. Honey bees maintain the temperature of
the brood nest between 32°C and optimally 35°C so that the brood
develops normally.

If food grade plastic is a concern in a hive then we have MUCH larger issues to address than honey purity.

But as far as concerns about the heat in the hive being sufficiently raised to cause issues with the honey I think that the reality is the bees maintain a very even temperature in the hive. It is not at all like a bottle of water sitting in the closed car on a 100º day.

So while I am always aware of issues in our food chain, and how it impacts my family’s health, this is not an area where our body of knowledge suggests we need to be concerned.

It just does not get that hot in a hive.

1 Like

I drink from plastic water bottles, rubber hoses, eat off plastic plates, and cook in teflon frying pans. 89 years old and going strong eat honey and live long.

1 Like