Hive brand suppliers

Where does everybody buy their hive brands from?

Depends we’re in the world you are.

Here in WA Stan is a very popular and prolific maker of brands.

Adam

I had a stencil made locally by doing a Google search and use a can of spray paint. I spent some time looking for a brand as in a red hot iron to burn onto the wood but gave up when a guy that does cattle branding irons was talking about $300.
Cheers

1 Like

Am in Queensland mate

I can’t help with who makes them over there. Maybe a local or local bee supplier can provide some options.

Adam

Yer Peter I thought about a simple stencil then wondered about theft. Simple to paint over.

Yeah, it is a bit harder than filling a burnt in brand with car body bog and painting it.Maybe good luck, or people are more honest than we think, but I have not had a hive stolen yet and some were often in plain sight. Years ago I had a fellow bee keeper friend who had 50 hives stolen in one night, he reported it to his local police and they were returned to the site within 24 hours. He guessed, and I think rightly so it hives were stolen by a commercial local bee keeper - who else would have done that…

1 Like

Good info Peter thanks for that.

1 Like

Hi Brett, merry Christmas. Are your hives likely to be in view of passing traffic on the farm?

No Jeff their 600m down toward the back through a rainforest then up a hill.

You probably don’t need to brand them Brett, however if you get some material to make the branding iron, I can weld the brands on for you next time you’re up.

I have a welder jeff. Got two actually. I will stencil paint them i think for the meantime.

1 Like

Go to kitchen warehouse and buy a novelty meat branding tool. You get an alphabet of letters (with multiple common letters), numbers and an iron… all for about $20-$30 from memory. Heat on the stove and scorch the hive…voila

2 Likes

Being so far out of sight I’m sure theft wouldn’t be an issue and the DPI are ok with a stencil ‘branding’ so you will comply with them.
Cheers

1 Like

I bought a cheap $20 cordless mini rotary tool from Bunnings and engraved the brand in, filled it in with a permanent marker.

2 Likes

WHIRRAKEE WOODWARE in Victoria make very good hives and they ship around Australia. I can 100% recommend their hives.

https://whirrakeewoodware.com.au/

edit: oops I thought you were after hives- not a brand.

I just made a paper stencil on he computer- traced it to linoleum and cut out a stencil then use spray paint.

1 Like

Go a small and engineering shop with a good drawing of ur design. Make the drawing on a A4 paper and tell them what actual size you want . They can scale it to what you want.
If ur in Perth I suggest Rutley Eng in Welshpool. Dead honest and easy to talk to.

6 Likes