Hive decoration - wood burning

I’m thinking about decorating our hive before we get bees. I like the look of the cedar grain, so I’m not going to paint. I am thinking about doing a wood burned design. Are there any pros and cons that I need to know about? Would the smell of burned wood repel bees?

1 Like

If you don’t burn the inside of the hive, I can’t see that it would be a problem.

1 Like

I’ve seen bees that moved into a burned out tree that got struck by lightning. The bees didn’t mind charred wood.

1 Like

If you scorch the inside of a hive & put bees in there, they’ll most likely abscond, that’s what I found. However if you transfer an established colony, brood & all into a scorched hive, the bees will stay. It wont take long for the hives odor to overwhelm the scorched smell.

There’s scorching and scorching I suppose. I scorch the inside of my wooden boxes when I clean them and the bees don’t seem to mind. Scorching to blacken the wood is probably left to the outside. It might look very nice.

1 Like

I’m thinking about a Mehndi type pattern and some words - not too much. Sounds like it should be OK.

2 Likes

Sounds gorgeous! Hope you can post some photos when it is done. :wink:

2 Likes

Not yet. I am ready to order bees now, so will do my decorating soon!
Thanks for asking!

1 Like

Finally finished and ready for bees! Now I need a swarm or a nuc.

2 Likes

Wow, I love it! You could sell skills like that. I would certainly pay to have you decorate my hive if you lived nearby. :wink:

Clever…
That’s wonderful