How do I know if my bees are hungry?

There have been some comments on the forum lately about slow uptake on the Flow Frames and slow progress in the brood box etc.

A common factor for the slow progress is lack of forage e.g. a dearth, so it pays for the beekeeper to consider, are my bees hungry?

Some telltale signs for hungry bees that come to my mind include:

1. Hungry larvae - this can be identified by little to no pool of royal jelly around a larva in its cell. A well-fed larva will represent it swimming in a pool of white watery liquid (royal jelly). A dry larva can specifically indicate lack of pollen as the bees need pollen to make royal jelly.

2. Little to no honey and pollen/bee bread stores. Uncapped glistening honey is a good indication that nectar has been brought into the hive in recent days.

3. The forager bees demonstrate little sense of urgency when departing the hive

Do any of our experienced beekeepers have anything else to add, or suggest otherwise?

2 Likes

My understanding on young larvae is that eggs wont hatch unless the bees deposit larval food on them. Therefore if a dearth or drastic change in the weather occurs after the eggs are laid, the bees can hold off from allowing those eggs to hatch.

The bees will exercise population control while there is a shortage of pollen & nectar. They will not prepare cells for the queen to lay in. On top of that, they wont feed her accordingly.

If we do an inspection to find no honey in the honey super, as well as no honey surrounding the brood, that colony WILL be hungry.

3 Likes