Tried to do Fall management yesterday here in central Iowa. The foundation-less frames were so glued into the deeps and totally covered with comb that they would not budge. I finally got one to move, but it just came apart. The hive seems exceptionally healthy, but these issues started to aggravate the hive.
I wanted to see if I could extract the flow frames and clean up the brood frames like I do with my other regular hive. However, that will not be possible with the flow hive. When I tried to lift the top brood box off of the lower one, frames from the lower deep were stuck to the bottom and it was making a total mess. I just laid it back down on top of the lower box.
OK, I did learn that the brood boxes are fully drawn…and more…but it was discouraging that I could not inspect the hive. I am just going to extract all of the flow frames and leave it on for the winter. This is not what I expected from this rather expensive flow hive. In addition, for the first time, my buddy and I were attacked by sentry bees and they followed us all the way back to the house…about 1/4 mile. We both got stung several times when we went to take off our suits. That is the first time that has happened to me…not a pleasant experience.