INNER COVER...with Policarbonate for easy inspection

Good morning everyone from Italy-
… I hope that in Australia you are all well and stay away from the Corona Virus like we have here in Brescia and Bergamo… Is getting a little better but we still have many infected persons and dead…
** Here in Italy ** They use only the DB hives ( no Langstrogh available )… I saw something they use that I think is very intelligent for the Inner Cover…and I was wondering… why not make the Flow Hive Inner Cover also with the center in Polycarbonate for easy inspection instead to taking it out to see the family all the time ? :honeybee: :honeybee:

1 Like

I think I saw a post about this idea and felt the same as you, Helene - @JeffH was that your post?

Glad you’re doing fine, Helene :blush:

1 Like

It was our venerable @Dee, but I think she has been too ill for quite a while to post here. I still remember her posts with great affection though. Wonderful beekeeper. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Eva yes thank God I am ok… I hope all of this mess will quite down soon… as it is over 2 1/2 month that I am lockdown in the house !! I feel very sorry about the bees school that is also closed down and we did not make any lessons anymore or didn’t go out to any apiaries to see anything ! My FH 2 is ready… but still outside in the hallway waiting for God know’s what… :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :honeybee: :honeybee:

I miss Dee very much. I think of her often and hope she will be well. Thanks for reminding me it was her post :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

So good to hear, Helene. I am healthy so far and feel very fortunate, considering.

1 Like

You can buy Perspex crown boards but they take a little bit of skill and knowledge to use. They seem most popular in the UK from what I have seen. They also cost a little more than a wood cover board.

I have friend with glass cover boards in a long Lang but aside from being able to see population and location they seem to be more an aesthetic choice.

Adam

1 Like

I have a couple of poly-carbonate hive mats in use, it was just laying about at the time and I was out of any lino pieces which is what Jeff uses and suggested to me, Both work well. with no advantage or disadvantage between them that I can see. The bees block the window effect with wax deposits after a short time I found. Of course a piece of lino is much cheaper.
Cheers

1 Like

Perspex crown boards are great. Its easy to peep in on the bees without disturbing them. The model i use has a bee space underneath and a top space of about 6cm. If you need to feed fondant, for example, in winter, you just turn the crown board upside down and place the fondant beneath on top of the frames.

They cost about 20EUR and wouldnt make financial sense for commercial people, but neither would a flow hive.

(photo below

)

2 Likes

Hi JimM, thank you for the reply. Yes, is something like that… Here in Italy they have it already attached to the Inner Cover and has the normal hight of the Inner Cover of the FH … with the hole to put the feeder if needed. I think is very practical and you don’t disturb the bees…!!

1 Like

Here, the Inner cover frame made of wood already has attached on the bottom the transparent plexy and makes it very easy to use… you take out the cover normally as the usual one made of plain wood.

Ciaoooo Peter, how are you ? Hope you are well and fit. Here the Inner cover you can buy it as you like… made with plain wood as normal…( like the FH) . or the one that has already attached to the bottom the see trough panel if you like. Is practical I think. :honeybee: :honeybee:

1 Like