Ireland: FlowHive beekeepers

This is a group for Flowhive owners in Ireland to share experiences and solutions as problems & questions arise.
I am new to beekeeping myself and attended the Gormanston Beekeeping Course this summer (July 2015) to get myself started.

1 Like

Hi Niall… Jenny here (Roundwood, Co. Wicklow)
Been meaning to follow up Gormanston with an email but have been busy. Thank you for posting. Curious to see how many Flow Hives end up in Ireland. 2 weeks since your post and no one. Early days. There were 4 of us at Gormanston who had ordered the FH…one from N Dublin, one from S Dublin, one from Waterford and myself. If someone else from Ireland sees this thread, please introduce yourselves. We’re looking to share our experiences.

1 Like

Hi, I am from Limerick and recently got our Flow Hive, we are looking for advice on how to get the nucs for it, does anyone have hints on where to get them.

Hi, I live in Westmeath and I am just starting to look into getting a FH. Is there a supplier in Ireland or do I have to order from abroad.

Cheers Kevin

The only official supplier is via the web site at honeyflow.com at the moment. However, they have local distributors once you have ordered on the web site, so this should help with import duties etc (you still have to pay international shipping, but it is reasonable, considering! :blush:) .

Thank you for the quick reply, I will look into that.

1 Like

Hi, does anyone know how I can adapt the Flow box to take National frames. I have been finding it hard to get anyone in Ireland to help with this.

Hi Anthony if you type this in to search, adapting national frames for langstroth box it brings up several threads discussing ideas

1 Like

You can buy 8 Frame Lang equipment to go with 6 Frames of Flow Frames from Bee Equipment

Hello, I am from Sligo and got my flow hive earlier this year and my buckfast bees in june. Put my super on early august and they still havent touched it yet:-(

Perhaps a little late in the season… :worried:

Hello everyone. I’m Anne. Just about to start a beekeeping course in Thurles, then go to buy my hive. Any tips?
I’m totally new to this chat forum idea, and not quite sure how it works, so sorry if i have written this on the wrong page…
Look forward to hearing from any of you with suggestions on how i start off my bee venture. I do Airbnb here, and have nicknamed it “Eire Bee’nBee” now, as i will save all my earnings to pay for the hive

Hi. I’m thinking of using a Flow Hive here in Galway. How did you get along with yours.

Hello. Im thinking of setting up a Flow Hive in Galway. Has your Flow Hive been successful in our damp climate? Thanks, Fintan - 0868128881.

I’m afraid I didn’t get my FlowHive started. Was nervous about putting a hive in my suburban garden as a lot of kids in neighbouring gardens. FlowHive is resting under a bed! :frowning:

1 Like

Oh dear … Same as me! Concerns grew that if any child on the estate got stung by any insect it would all be my fault!

Hi, its working fine,when you get it, coat it with bees wax so they start working on it straight away. Dont forget to extract before Ivy flow, at the end of august.

so 30. 3. 2019 v 10:57 odesĂ­latel Fintan Convery via Flow Forum honeyflow@discoursemail.com napsal:

Hi Niall… I was just getting around to calling you as I am only JUST setting up my Flow Hive. (Roundwood, Co Wicklow)… we met at Gormanston summer of 2015. If you are nervous about urban bee keeping give a call to Bi Urban (Stoneybatter, Dublin) and talk with Kaethe Burt-O’Dea… she was setting up a Flow Hive last summer…and she is ALL ABOUT urban bee keeping. You would have seen her bee products that summer. Hope to see you another time at Gormanston. Jenny

Hi Niall,
Curious to see if you have kept your FH in storage and if so are you willing to depart with it by any chance as i would be very interested in owning one. If you have put it to use how are you finding it.

Paddy

Hi Guys.

I’m new to beekeeping and am going to be installing a couple of new hives later this month in Dublin. I’ve got 1 x National Flowhive super so far. Anyway, it’s good to know there are more of you over here.

Ronan