Is this just a drone cell?

Was in my hive today, and saw this. Looks like it is just a cell that got torn apart when I pulled two frames apart, but that larvae sure looks big to me.

1 Like

Could be…as you say, might have been torn open when you lifted the frame out or the bees decided it wasn’t viable & are removing it.

Meanwhile, at about 10 o’clock on your photo I see what looks like your queen, in the act of laying. But I’m doubting myself because the eyes look very drone-y to me, so maybe the body just seems elongated because of the photo angle or something…

The one with big eyes and a fuzzy thorax? Looks a lot like a drone to me! :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, looks like a drone to me. If I wasn’t seeing clear sign she’s in there, then I might panic, but it’s obvious we have a queen from the eggs and brood.

1 Like

Don’t the QBs have a white dot on there backs it’s the only way I can see them lol

1 Like

Only if someone puts a dot there - and when queens are marked the color of the dot will be different according to what year she was raised.

But - sorry for any confusion! this isn’t a queen. As Dawn says & I suspected, it has the large eyes of a drone & big fuzzy thorax of a drone :wink:

1 Like