Just installed 3lb Italian honey bees

is it normal for my bees to have consumed almost 5 gallons of syrup since i got them on 4/27 and they have developed two frames already and one frame already has some eggs im taking it as a good omen but i would like a second opinion

1 Like

What kind of feeder are you using ? That seems like a lot of syrup

Its a in hive feeder it holds a gallon

That does sound like a lot. Is there robbing going on by any chance? Have you reduced the entrance?

Jacob,

Woooooo ! Waaaaaay too much ! Usually normal is maybe a quart or less per day but a gallon of syrup is WEIRD n something wrong.

Like Dawn n others … Sounds like some serious robbing. Or is something leaking ?! What type of feeder are you using ? I only use top-feeders or jars inverted surrounded by a super.

I’d screen your hive entrance tonight n check n see if you have a lot of visitors showing up for LUNCH ! You get my drift. If a gang shows up I’d get a 1" or maybe 1/:" wide reducer on … Your bees should be able to hand that. Also make sure there are no other holes other visitors can enter as well. Sometimes it takes a bit of detective work. Just part of beekeeping n learning curve.

Ta Ta,

Gerald