Syrup feeding & honeybound

Since getting my nucs a couple of weeks ago, I have been feeding syrup. They have been consuming about a gallon every 2-3 days. They have slowed down slightly in the last few day. They have been building new comb - there is still a frame or two that comb has not been drawn out or incomplete.
While inspecting yesterday, I noticed 2 possible problems.
1)Some spots, it seems they have built comb on top of comb both filled with syrup/honey.
2)It seems the hive is becoming honeybound not leaving a lot of empty comb for the queen to lay in. There is brood and some open cells - just a large percentage of honey. We do see the bees bringing in pollen. However, percentage of comb with pollen seems small. They may be consuming as it comes in. The protein patties were mostly untouched other than as noted in my post Small Hive Beetles & protein patties.
I am thinking that when they consume the current jars of syrup, stop feeding as there is a lot in the hive. Let them consume it from the comb creating more open comb.
Thoughts ?

I would fix that ASAP - cut it off with a sharp knife. Usually there is just one small bridge attaching it to the main comb. You could rubber band the extra piece into an empty part of another frame. If you rubber band it near the top bar of the frame, the bees will fix it in place quite quickly. Make sure you keep it the right way up.

Sounds like a good plan. You should have a nectar flow by now any way, and nectar is more healthy for bees than syrup. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @Dawn_SD
Unfortunately it is about to rain, so I won’t be able to cut it off today. If I have to work long days this week, it may be next weekend before I can get back into the hives. Btw, although relocated years ago, I am a socal native. Born & raised Kern co. A few hours North of where you and @claire_c are.

1 Like

Hi Sam, take a look at the video “City of the Bees”. Apart from the other excellent information, they show the relationship between the queen bee & the rest of the colony. Once you get an understanding of that relationship, you will no longer think that the brood is honey bound, with nowhere for the queen to lay eggs.

Bottom line is: If the colony wants the queen to lay eggs, they will provide empty cells for her to do so, then they’ll feed her accordingly. The amount of eggs the queen can lay is proportionate to the size of the colony, is worth baring in mind.

PS. More to the point: The amount of eggs a queen will lay is proportionate to the number of nurse bees that able to care for the brood.
A good way to speed things up is with the addition of a frame or two of sealed & emerging bees, or a direct injection of nurse bees.

2 Likes

Hi @JeffH - is this the City of Bees video you’re talking about? - Moody Institute of Science City of the Bees - YouTube

2 Likes

@JeffH
Thanks
I have watched that a couple of times. Maybe again would be good.
Unfortunately, I have no resources to add brood or bees. Just have to wait for them to build up.

1 Like

Hi Bianca, that’s the one. It’s a good video to learn from I believe, because it shows what bees do inside the hive. It’s basic bee culture, which answers a lot of basic questions or statements that new beekeepers ask. This one for example “nowhere for the queen to lay because the frames are honey bound”.

Hi @Sambees , you’re spot on when you say that you’ll need to wait until your bees build up. Unless you have a friend who needs to do some swarm prevention measures.

2 Likes

Hello from Midland, TX! I transferred my nuc into my brood box last Sunday (10 days ago) and put a division frame feeder in there with syrup. How do I know when is best to take the feeder frame out?

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum!

I would take it out when all of the other frames have mostly drawn comb, and that comb has plenty of food or brood in it. I would also take it out if the bees aren’t consuming the feed within a week or two - it means that there is enough nectar for them not to need the syrup. :wink:

2 Likes