Many bees - see new queen - no brood

One of my new hives has exploded with bees. Started it as a package this spring. Many bees hanging out (bearding?) on front of the hive. Searched for queen today. The original marked queen is nowhere to be found but I did see a new queen.

I could not find any eggs or brood visible that were un capped. A few bees were hatching.

What do I do? Wait to see if this new queen starts producing?

Thanks!

Either they superseded her, or they swarmed. If there are lots of bees still, I would wait to see if she starts laying within a couple of weeks. I would also do a very careful check for more queen cells. :blush:

1 Like

It sounds very much that your hive had swarmed and your new queen has not began to lay yet. Leave her be for a fortnight, don’t disturb the hive, then do an inspection for brood.
A new queen takes a bit of time to lay eggs, it is normal Barry.
Cheers

Thanks Peter
 Kind of what I thought might have happened. My only counter thought was that the hive still seems “packed” with bees so not too many let with the swarm. I guess that was good luck.

Thanks Dawn. That follows what others have suggested.

Might be a good time to treat for mites during this brood break. When most of the brood has emerged.

2 Likes

How long is a fortnight? Hi Peter. :grinning:

2 Likes

Apparently it is a very famous computer game, not a period of time. :rofl: :heart_eyes: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh no
 Wait
 It is actually called “Fortnite”, that spelling that @Peter48 uses must be source of the confusion! :smile: :hugs:

He thinks you should go and play computer games while the queen gets on with laying!? :rofl: :thinking:

2 Likes

Well I better gird my loins for the queen to start laying eggs. I wonder what girding entails. Lol :joy: During a dearth will the Queen slow down laying eggs? And do we need to feed pollen patties during the dearth? I’m into dearth concern.

1 Like

Very useful to know if you are wearing a skirt or a toga!

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on climate and when in the year it occurs. If it is in September and you are not subtropical, definitely yes. This time of year, it will probably depend on how much pollen and honey is in the hive. If there is plenty, she may slow a little, but it probably won’t be that noticeable.

If you have at least 1 and 1/2 frames of pollen, I wouldn’t feed. If you have one, I would think about it, but remember SHB love pollen patties, so only do it if you need to.

:heart_eyes:

Open feed pollen for a test? I’m totally going to try girding my loins.

2 Likes

I don’t like doing that, but many people do it. I think it feeds all of the Africanized mutts around me, and I could do with less of them. :blush:

No photo, it didn’t happen. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s going to happen in a maxi dress on my boat

2 Likes

A fortnight is usually two weeks but here is sometimes an a day or two unofficially. If it is said “I’m going for a fortnights break” in Australia that can be rather open ended.
When I was in my own business I took a “fortnights break” and I have been on that break now for 25 years. But that was a sort of “long break” that really wasn’t planned that way, I got into relaxing and smelling the flowers. Getting back into bees was also on my bucket list.
Regards

1 Like

A fortnight is officially 2 weeks. Going to somewhere can be called in Australia " I am going for about a fortnight" which can be a fortnight plus suitable extensions. About 25 years ago I had “about a fortnights holiday” and I am still loving it.:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Is that called a GOTCHA !!!

3 Likes

Coming to Australia I was taught a fortnight means 2 weeks (a week and a further week) and have since been using the expression to mean 2 weeks without any confusion.
Might just be Australian.

1 Like

Good old Google

Origin of fortnight:

Answered Apr 6 2017 (https://www.quora.com/How-was-the-term-fortnight-invented/answer/Robert-Charles-Lee) ·
It’s from the Old English term fēowertīene niht (‘fourteen nights’) from around AD 400 to 1100.

By the time of Middle English (AD 1100 to 1500), it became altered to fourtenight .

By the time the Great Vowel Shift was completed ca. 1550s, the term became shortened to the modern form fortnight by Early Modern English (1550s to mid-17th century).

Not an Australian invention but obviously not used in the Americas.

I believe the Eight to Eighty age group is a better estimate of those playing Fortnite.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Yes, @Peter48, as a whingeing Pom, I am very familiar with the fortnight concept - we invented it, as @busso has elucidated.

I am just being my usual playful self, and yanking everyone’s chains at the slightest excuse. :smile:

2 Likes

Do you see any pollen coming in. My bees have some pollen coming in but no nectar.