Mixing Flowhive & Langstroth boxes

Dear All
Can you please advise;
Are the dimensions of the 6-frame Flowhive exactly the same as the 8-frame Langstroff ?
I am hoping to keep my 6-frame Flowhive Super and underpin it with an 8-frame Langstroff brood box.
Kind Regards
Trevor

1 Like

The basic answer is yes. The more accurate answer is that manufacturers vary the exact dimensions slightly, and the boxes may vary by as much as 5mm (1/4 inch). In reality, that doesn’t matter, because as long as you center the boxes on top of each other, they fit perfectly well. From a distance, you probably wouldn’t even notice any slight overhang.

I have one full Flow hive classic (6 frame) and several traditional 8-frame Langstroth hives. The super fits perfectly on all of my hives. :wink:

3 Likes

Many thanks Dawn.
That confirms my own measuring.
ie the slight difference in size does not prevent mixing the two types of boxes.
Kind rgds Trevor

2 Likes

The only issue you might have is the Flow hive roof after removing the super.

I’ve a uk bought 8 frame langstroth brood box and after removing the Flow Hive super the flowhive roof doesn’t fit over the langstroth brood box.

I’ve had to buy a traditional 8 frame langstroth flat roof.

I only have single brood on my hives and cycles out the Flow Hive brood box this season to clean.

Not the end of the world