Mouldy flow frames

I took my Flow Frame super off for winter and gave it a good clean out as there were some SHB larvae inside. I thought I had sufficiently dried the frames after washing in warm water, before freezing for 24hrs then storing in a plastic tub. Unfortunately however, I just took them out to find that 2 of them which had quite a bit of wax left on them, have gone completely mouldy ! I am not sure how to go about cleaning them now and wondering whether I will be able to remove all the mould from inside each cell ? Any help or advise would be great. Thanks, Emma

1 Like

There are some videos from the Flow Frame team . I think Cedar showing how to take the frame apart. I’ve done it a couple of times just to give myself some practice. Wanted to know how before I had to do it or if by chance it busted apart on me. I’m curious what others are thinking to do as well.

2 Likes

If you put them in the hive, and it is ordinary mould (not smelly), the bees will clean them up for you before storing honey. They are very good at that kind of thing, and always clean up comb before using it anyway. :blush:

1 Like

the quickest way to kill the mold is to use cleaning vinegar liberally sprayed with $2 supermarket sprayer, same as you used pre a steam iron in the laundry. Wash it off with warm water a day or two before you want to use the frames and let it air dry after shaking off the water droplets.
Cheers

2 Likes