My first beehive! FH2

So you’re going to do two deeps and a medium?

The second deep should have more than enough for almost any North American winter, certainly enough for Tennessee… having EXTRA space is not better.

As we discussed earlier, even one deep is enough is many parts.

You should only feed if you’re bees are going to starve if you don’t. Dead bees are worse than malnourished bees (if you believe that emergency feeding is malnourishment). Having excess space over winter is not likely to improve your over wintering success.

1 Like

I will be adding their super only. I probably will not get a harvest since it’s their first year. If they manage to fill everything I may switch a frame out for an empty but I’m not counting on it.

2 Likes

It is super random. :crazy_face::joy: I threw them in a spreader and had a good time in the rain.

1 Like

It really depends on them. If they run out of room and have filled both brood boxes with months remaining in the season then I will provide the space for them to have storage. Next season there is no doubt they will pack the whole thing. Currently because of the unusually warm winters two brood boxes require supplements early spring/late winter before there is nectar flow.

That’s when you can consider adding the flow super.

I don’t know what the fall and spring forage are in your area but if that’s what your mentor is advising you then I guess you should go with that until you figure things out and a more efficient way to work it for yourself.

1 Like

More flowers are starting to bloom. :partying_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Bees are still buzzing about. The neighbor lady gave me a huge bird bath fountain. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Very nice! Your yard looks amazing, I was surprised by the size of the fish in the pond :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s 21 feet across and 4 feet deep.

1 Like

So I’m 5 days into a half apigaurd preventative treatment and i noticed what looks like legs in the inspection tray. Should I be concerned? :worried:

Yep. Bee parts. Could be from pupating bees that are being pulled from their cells by hygienic minded bees, could be normal dead bee attrition, could be robbing even. Given that you just treated them, it’s probably just them being a little stressed and cleaning house.

1 Like

Sure hope so. :pray: many thanks. Was slightly concerned it was a pest instead of bee legs. Slightly relived.

Update: the mass leg amputation has seemed to stop. :crazy_face: looks like normal hive debris again. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Turning into a scorcher today.

1 Like

Seen this interesting bee in the garden. Anyone know what it is? Sure is fast. I think leafcutter.

1 Like

Flowers are really getting up there. Some have bloomed. The ladies have found some cone flowers.

2 Likes

Very nice flower garden. How exciting to watch all the flowers bloom and the ladies find them.

2 Likes

Any Australians willing to hook me up with a gumbi gumbi tree? I’ll gladly buy it and pay shipping. Seeds would be fine too. Lost my best friend, my dog named gumby. Buried him in my garden and would love to plant one over him. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss!

We have a dachshund named Gumby!

2 Likes

Aww, I’m so sorry to hear this Fred. Rest In Peace, Gumby :tulip::sunflower:

2 Likes