Newbie starting from nothing, waiting for bees

Hi Brandon, you can freeze these to kill off any pest eggs or spores that might still be viable on there, as a precaution.

Yep sounds good!

Probably not, but check this with your bee class teacher. Your nuc should contain 2 full frames of honey and pollen, plus what’s in the arcs around the brood frames. Assuming there’s a good nectar flow on in your region, this will be enough of a pad to keep them going while they find forage in your area. If you are advised to feed, you’ll need to stay on your toes with swarm prevention.

Right :+1:

I haven’t used this treatment. It’s my understanding that thymol is pretty noxious to bees. Given what I see in the linked study I would indeed remove it.

I’d recommend checking out the info here on the forum and elsewhere on the web about oxalic acid treatment instead.

Awesome :raised_hands: you’ll learn a lot and fast this way! Happy for you - good luck!

2 Likes

Well, 3 weeks into my do-over. I got a really healthy 5-frame nuc from a local honey company. The nuc was beautiful when I transplanted to my hive. I installed 1+2 empty foundation frames on the outer sides of the nuc, and I left the nuc undisturbed.

I restrained myself for 3 weeks from opening the hive and did the first hive inspection today. The 3 foundation frames have gone from completely bare, to COVERED with larva of all sizes, capped brood, and TONS of honey.

The bees also built a substantial buffet on top of the queen excluder and under the top board, and they were all having a party.

Now I need to figure out the ant situation. I found a sugar ant nest inside the top board and cleaned it out. I may need to rethink my limestone bricks as a support, so that I can put some kind of water barrier to keep the ants out.

2 Likes

i have a flow 2 and I put empty tuna cans under each leg of the hive. I then poured cooking oil into each can, and that has kept all crawlies out of the hive (the ones that don’t have wings, that is). The oil only needs a top up every 4 or so months.

1 Like

Well, the bees grew so quickly that they were bearding in cool weather, e.g. when it was 68F in the morning back in May. I did some research and figured out that they were crazy over populated - probably just hours away from swarming. I added and 2nd box on top, and moved 1 of my original 8 frames up top. The bees filled out the new box in 3 weeks. They seem super healthy since then (added the 2nd box on May 20). I have been peeking on them almost every day, but I am limiting my hive inspections to every 3 weeks. Last inspection, I found hive beetles - the workers cornered them into a little prison, as usual, and I smashed all of them. I then added 2 beetle traps, filled with water this time, instead of oil last time.

Question - it has been very hot, as expected. Since about June 10th, it has been 95 - 105 F every single day. The bees are very active during the day, even now that all the wildflowers died. However, for the last ~3 weeks, they are bearding in the morning, even when it is 78 - 88 F (in the morning). They cover about 60% of the front area of the 2 boxes. It still gets blazing hot during the day. Should I been concerned about over-population again?

I’ve seen posts in this forum with hives that are 5 boxes high!!! I thought 2 was kind of the limit, but clearly not. Should I consider adding a 3rd box? It is already July, but it stays hot in Texas until 1st or 2nd week in October. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Brandon, my strategy for monitoring a colonies population is to have access into the roof. If I see a buildup of bees in the roof, it’s time to split the hive in some way.

I suggest to people with Flow hives to leave the hole in the crown board open, then lift the roof once a fortnight to monitor the population.

1 Like