No action on new frames

Hi guys, 1st hive and 1st post, please beee kind!
I put a nuc, 5 frames into an 8 frame box in January. I got 3 frames with wax and put them outside the 5 frames from the nuc. I’ve been feeding every few weeks when weather allows, via a top feeder. Today I pulled the frames out and alas there is zero action on the 3 frames… after 3 months?! Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi there. South coast NSW has really struggled with nectar since Christmas. Lots of cloudy days and rain hasn’t helped. Our club members have lost hives to starving as they did not realise that there was a dearth on (normally really good flow from february). My bees are taking 500ml of sugar sryup a day so only feeding every few weeks is probably only sustainijng rather than allowing them to build comb. Cheers.

2 Likes

Thank you! Would it be reasonable to put a few litres in weekly then?

2 Likes

Hi there, at the moment i would be filling it as fast as they empty it. When (if) the autumn flow gets here the bees will stop taking the sugar syrup and just get the nectar.

3 Likes

With the nights getting longer (not that that makes any difference), I dare say the bees will collect nectar during the day & sugar syrup during the night. Especially if you have a feeder that keeps dripping.

1 Like